Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There is a lot of information on the web-try nolo press. They also publish great books, relatively cheap. I also wrote a 27 page report on this subject for soapbox, which never sold so I deleted it from the soapbox site. I would be more than happy to email it to you at no charge. (I think you have posted a lot on the REHP which I have benefited from, so I would be happy to repay the favor.) It will cover a lot of the questions you ask.

Briefly... I would think twice and then think again before I would go into a partnership with anyone. Too much liability. An LLC would probably be your best bet. A subchapter S corporation would be your next best bet. Assuming you were flying to the mainland for business there would be no reason you could not take the deduction in full. Just be sure to document the prurpose of the trip, etc..etc..

There is also a great book out "What the IRS doesn't want you to know" written by a CPA, Marty Kaplan. Its in paperback and worth buying, if you can't find it at the local library. good stuff, even for non tax types. I will try to post tomorrow all the web sites I used for my research. Hopefully I didn't delete all of them.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.