Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BenSolar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18346  
Subject: Re: The Car of the Future Date: 7/7/2006 11:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
There is a major problem with this actually happening. We have no national energy direction. As I understand it, the current administration wants the market to decide (or they are just clueless). I am convinced that this won't work. We will be left with oil over $100 a barrel and natural gas coming from abroad so we will be even less energy independent. Some leadership is needed here and I don't see any of our politicians providing it.

Good god, my friend, are you kidding? The current administration is leading us powerfully in energy direction. They are spending 100s of billions of dollars each year to secure our energy supplies for the coming decades. It's oil, baby. Damn the costs, our nation runs on cheap oil.

Of course, they didn't plan on spending 100s of billions of dollars at this point in time defending our access to oil, they thought that Iraq would roll over and we'd be pumping oil to beat the band, and it would practically pay for itself to secure our access. Unfortunately, they grossly miscalculated.

"Iraq is war on terrorism!", you might say, if you buy that we invaded Iraq because Saddam and their worn out pathetic military was a threat to us. So, you don't put that bill on fossil fuel. I will call you naive, then I will point out that the federal government still subsidizes fossil fuels to the tune of 10-15 billion a year, IIRC, dwarfing the government aide to 'alternative' energy sources. That's a lot of direction from the government on where the market should go.

Sure, they know the party will end some day after we crest the peak of oil supply, but they won't be in office then, and they, and their friends and families, will be rich and powerful. They will point at the few billion they (mis)spent on hydrogen and ethanol and say, "Look, I tried to do something!"

If you hire a bunch of oilmen to direct your energy policy, then it's fairly predictable what that energy policy will be.

B.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement