Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
There is a special tax form I read about that would help one spouse from being responsible for the taxes on the others 401K. Does anyone know what it might be. My spouse cashed in his 401K and no taxes were taken out of it. He has now spent the money he had set aside for the taxes & I don't want to be held responsible for them come time for filing...

Strictly tax answer: File your own return married, filing separately. You are not required to file a joint return with your spouse, and if you don't file a joint return, you're not responsible for your spouse's liability.

Lots of other things to consider, among them:

1. If you live in a community property state, all bets are off.

2. I'm not being nosy, but what's the state of your marriage? If you plan on staying married, I don't see how you avoid financial problems just by not being liable for your spouse's taxes.

3. Marital relations. Speaks for itself.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.