Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There is some misunderstanding of what I posted.

I had foreign tax withheld from dividends. This was reported on 1099s.

I filled out (or had TurboTax do it) Form 1116 to see if I got a foreign tax credit. The form says I get zero foreign tax credit. I will check the worksheet for Form 1116 to see if I can carry forward any unclaimed credit.

Since I get zero foreign tax credit, should I even bother to include Form 1116 with my return?

That was the question.

As an aside, I mentioned that I owe no tax for 08 because I anticipated that someone would suggest I take the foreign tax witheld as a deduction. Whether I take it or not, makes no difference.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.