Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dovegato Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96  
Subject: Re: Go to class Date: 8/30/2000 11:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There is such a thing as gulf war syndrome. There were chemicals involved, and people are sick. And people who don't believe this are just the sort of people who invest in companies like Monsanto.

Well- keep working at it. Often it is very difficult to distinguish exactly what or who are the "ills" of our society and what lies at the root of it. I believe we all respect your desire for "socially responsible investing" and will adhere to those basic guidelines. I think it would help if you made an outline of situations you feel are inappropriate- so that we could all be thinking along the same lines.

I remember transcribing depositions for a major lawfirm who was either representing or prosecuting Westinghouse in a significant toxic dump case. (I can't remember which) The symptons were not well-classified by the victims, and were all over the place from ongoing bad dreams, attention deficit to growth disruptions and other endocrine system abnormalities.

The first 6 I did- I was convinced the people were nuts and trying to get some money. By the time I did a dozen- including one from a brilliant 12 year old girl-
I had completely changed my position. It was very clear to me that these people had been poisoned inadvertently because they lived near a factory outlet.

And I went on to transcribe 40 depositions- and that is when the effects finally began to fall into definite categories of illness. The problem for everyone involved was defining what had happened to them and when- and separating out everything that did not pertain to the poisoning.

The thing is- Westinghouse lost the case and had to make reparation. But based on the experiences of the people whose lives were unalterably changed by both the poison and what they went through (in terms of social non-acceptance, ridicule, blaming)- before they were taken seriously- no amount of money would really fix what happened to them.

That's just the way the world works- people dislike admitting there's a problem unless there's a hope of them managing and resolving it. Often the biggest part of the problem is isolating it and characterizing it correctly- so that everyone can recognize it for what it is.

And it's the deadly part of a situation when people just want to sweep things under the rug and deny... or inform you that "everbody just knows" what is or isn't a problem-- or "socially responsbile" for that matter.

So let's get the cards out on the table- because I believe the makers of Advil are ethically acceptable= and someone else may not. And I don't want to step on anyone else's toes.

So let's lay out some definitions we can discuss and accept-- because certainly there are way too many stocks in the world to get overly upset about whether we invest or not in a few of them.

DG

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement