No. of Recommendations: 25
There is the slight issue of 'insolvency', which is what happens when people are taking out at a faster rate than they are putting in. Oopsie! So, it's a *guarantee* that either we'll have to raise taxes, cut benefits, or a combination. But no risk, there, right? I suppose in your world, it isn't risky if it was designed to fail, like every other social program.

I don't see any problem with that. There are no systems or programs that will last in perpetuity with no adjustments or corrections. iTunes needs to be updated about 10 minutes. That doesn't mean it was designed to fail. It means there are now security issues that need to be addressed or new features the programmers want to include.

I rebalance my own retirement portfolio once a year, not because it was designed to fail, but because things change and the portfolio balance needs to be changed as well.

I'm really happy I live in a country where our seniors have health care and at least a basic income to survive on. I'd hate to live in the kind of place where those things don't exist. Helping each other is hallmark of successful human groups. I'm glad the group I live with has that successful trait.

SS has worked just fine for decades. At some point there will need to be some adjustments made, just like your car needs some adjustments after so many miles. I don't see any problem performing some maintenance from time to time.

Coming back to this comment:

Logical FAIL. Countries became First World and *then* do-gooders decided that they knew how to spend other people's money better. Turns out they can't, but that won't stop them. You don't really understand logic, do you?

But it is still something that all first world countries did. 100% of them. People who want to strive for those values is what makes a first world country in the first place. It is a hallmark of success, not a character flaw.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement