UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WyneFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Re: Parents Nearing Retirement Date: 8/22/2006 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
There may be a message for you in there, too, of course.

So many people rush around these days, slaving at work, putting in extra hours, and missing out on family/spouse time, not necessarily to be able to live a good life, but just to be able to buy more "stuff"! However, I confess that, back when we were both working and raising our family, WE did a lot of the same thing, though we tried not to.

I sometimes wonder where it will all end up. Will the coming generations eventually get so "busy" that they just plain go mad?

Good luck finding a "balance"!

I need to disagree with RV on a couple of levels. I believe that we all, during our working days, tend to try to 'keep up with the Jonses'. As we mature (read - grow older and wiser) many of us no longer feel the need to impress our peers with stuff. We slow dow the spending and live out our lives more frugally. (And I know that RV is a conservative spender in retirement.)

Because our parents lived through the Great Depression with that stone for soup or reused the paper from the butcher they tended to think frugal. I find that we (aging boomers as an inclusive class) are starting to do the same. We've seen the papers where others have had their 401k's wiped out by Enron/Worldcom scams or pensions that were promised are being taken away. If we think about it our parents were right, no one will take care of us but ourselves. As part of a HS project in Family Life (back in 1972 no less) I determined that Congress would tinker with SS and it really was a Ponzi Scheme. I vowed then that I would do what I could to not be dependent on the Government or any company where I worked. I've become more frugal in my old age and still spend for those Items that make my life rich.

I see the next generation as a mixed bag. Some are spending wildly but more are Fiscal Conservatives. More are at least talking about the future and investing than my generation ever did. Savings rates in this country are low until you consider 401K,403B,IRA's and Roth's and the equity building in the houses being purchased. I don't like the trend toward 40-50 year house mortgages and 7-10 year car mortgages but they will figure it out.....we did didn't we?

Anyway, the kids today will be fine and will learn their lessons by considering the stupid things we did. Just like we learned from our parents. Now go and re-use that paper bag!

Nechochwen - walking a different path -
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement