No. of Recommendations: 2
There should be a few sales on early fall jackets by now. Look
around a little and you may find a deal.

NIce idea, but Montauk is esentially a fishing village--not a mall in sight. And backtracking towards NYC are the Hamptons...even a sale would not be adequate to make clothes shopping there affordable for me. Not to mention that my free time between the breakfast this morning and wedding this evening will be spent with my family, not shopping. Besides, I have spent DH & my shared clothing budget for the year already, mostly on him as he's lost weight and I was tired of looking at his saggy, baggy pants and tops (he went from 40-inch waist to 33, and from Large shirts to S or M).

I've used the same Goretex jacket since the late 80s. It still looks good despite being my only jacket for all purposes, from camping to work to going out for the evening, save dressy occasions, for nearly 25 years. I still like it, ain't replacing till I have to. If it gets cold, too bad for me. I should've packed the jacket when I thought of it as I got ready for bed the night before the trip--alas, I did not, and it slipped my mind in the morning.

Speaking of clothing expenses, my daughter admired the dress Michelle Obama wore for her speech at the DNC. She looked up the designer online to see about ordering a dress for the wedding (her body changed so much after having a baby that even though she lost all the weight, she just isn't built the same any more and not much of her wardrobe fit). Anyway, she discovered that the designer has her own shop a 10-minute walk from her grad school. She found a $200 dress there--all the dresses she looked at were $200-450, cheap for name designer clothing. BTW, that price includes alterations, and she had the dress altered to fit perfectly. She fels like she owns a custom dress! I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight. But I'm wearing a dress I bought 7 years ago ;-)

=alstro, who buys new clothes/accessories only when old clothes die, don't fit any more, or I have nothing appropriate for an occasion (but I can cover anything from camping to opening night at the opera now). I generally prefer cute new travel to a cute new outfit, although I've had to spend more over the past couple of years as I've also lost abut the same amount of weight as the hubster...now my jacket fits much better than than it did for a while there!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement