Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: waterfell Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: question on wash sale rule Date: 3/27/2008 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Therefore a fund that is targeting twice the performance of a benchmark is certainly not substantially identical to a fund that targets the benchmark.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think it is as easy as saying the performance goals are different, so the rule doesn't apply. If I bought call options on QQQQ after selling the regular stock at a loss, it is still a wash sale. Options have different performance from the underlying stock, but I'm pretty sure they are still considered substantially identical securities. Options are included in the wikipedia link in my original post as applicable to the rule. I don't know for certain, but I think options or futures is how QLD can achieve 200% performance.

From other sources I can find, "substantially identical" seems to be something that is hard to define, but you recognize it when you see it. Also, the word 'substantial' in the phrase may give some leeway for the IRS to interpret it any way they want. It doesn't have to be 100% identical, just substantially so.

I don't mean to ask a question and then get argumentative with the people answering. It is just I have looked other places and there is a lot to consider.

- waterfell
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement