UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24798  
Subject: Re: Old Earth Creationism Date: 5/4/2013 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There's a particular puzzle I cannot seem to get an answer on: birds before land animals?

There’s an apparent contradiction between Genesis 1 and the scientific consensus regarding the appearance of land animals and birds. Genesis has birds appearing on Day 5 and land animals on Day 6.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time poking around the Reasons to Believe site, and I cannot find an explanation. I’m sure there is one.

Some of their best material is in their books. Basically, it's a problem of category mismatch between Hebrew and English translations.

Old earth creationists believe that God created over long periods of time, as reflected in the fossil record. The fossil record then gives the details of creation, Genesis the big picture with few details.

In short, the land animals of day 6 would have been certain subsets of land animals, including the larger mammals that interact with humans,and other animals that are important to human thriving, while earlier animals including dinosaurs were completely left out of the story line.

Maybe that's because by the time humans came on the scene, dinos were irrelevant to daily life, while the other categories mentioned were still around.

"The Genesis Question" addresses this issue.

That's what I remember anyway from book of Ross' I read years ago.

-Bryan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement