No. of Recommendations: 2
There's no one right way to trade calendar spreads. High IV works very well for me. If you prefer low IV calendar spreads
and have a bullish outlook, you may wish to buy OTM Call or ITM Put calendar spreads. For a bearish outlook, stick with
buying ITM call or OTM put spreads. That's thre really neat thing about calendar spreads--you can design one to match
your market outlook.

;;;;;;;;

This is how I love Calendar spreads. Low Vol with a bullish outlook. I buy the calendar spread out 2 and 5 months or so and buy one strike up. I have limited my vega risk though I probably won't make any money with a IV spike as they usually don't go up with a gradual increase in price.

I have been thinking about bearish put calendar spreads as the IV will go up with the falling price. The favorable theta of the calendar spread appeals to me, over the bearish spreads. I assume you meant credit call spreads above: "ITM Call." Any more thoughts on bearish put calendar spreads?

puntific
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement