Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
There's no penalty to filing a 1040X..But you need to do it. In TTAX you enter your current year state and local taxes withheld in the W-2 window. Then you go to another window called Tax payments(or somehting like that). There you enter your estimated taxes (for those that do) and down the bottom is a place to enter state and local taxes paid for prior years. Your current year withholding state taxes and prior year taxes paid get combined and transferred to the state taxes line of schedule A. If you didn't enter those taxes paid for a prior year you should file an amendment and get a refund.

Joe Varga
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.