UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128651  
Subject: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/7/2012 8:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We had our home heating & a/c system serviced today and I talked with the technician about replacing our current wall mounted thermostats with ones having remote sensors. (The problem we're trying to solve is that the thermostats aren't located where we spend the most time.) He said they didn't sell any, but would install one we purchased. he said we'd need a seven-wire connection.

I see several of these systems on sale, but does anyone here happen to use such a critter and, if so, do you have a recommendation on brand or (even better) a particular thermostat?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123307 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/8/2012 10:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I wrote the folks at prothermostats.com and here's what they suggested ($200 for the entire unit, including receiver and remote sensor).

http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?p=honeywell_yth632...

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123312 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/9/2012 12:34 PM
I know Honeywell makes some good ones. But I don't have one myself.

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123319 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/10/2012 1:27 PM
I talked with the technician about replacing our current wall mounted thermostats with ones having remote sensors.

I'm not real sure on what you want to do. Can you just move your wiring to the room you want the stat in?

Personally, wireless seems like another link to be weak (like if on vacation in the dead of winter). However after reading some of your link, it sounds like the wireless when used with a stationary stat, acts like a backup safety system. Plus I'm not sure how all this fancy stuff works but I think wireless is what allows you to monitor the system over the internet.

When you say Thermostat w/remote sensor it throws me off. I'm not sure they make any house stats that are "remote" or at least remote in the sense I was thinking. All thermostats are in a sense "remote" from say, the furnace. But I think the temperature sensor is always within the thermostat, meaning "local" to the adjustments. So maybe I've been able to confuse you the same way I am, and if so, I've been successful and am not alone in my torture of my brain, lol.

Paul T.

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123320 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/10/2012 3:01 PM
Plus I'm not sure how all this fancy stuff works but I think wireless is what allows you to monitor the system over the internet.
I believe there are thermostats that connect to the internet - but that's not what was linked above - nor what the OP was asking about.
"wireless" in this case is just simply that it's using some kind of radio wave communication to talk between the thermostat and the 'equipment interface module'

When you say Thermostat w/remote sensor it throws me off. I'm not sure they make any house stats that are "remote" or at least remote in the sense I was thinking.
Here's the link to one again:
http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?p=honeywell_yth632...

It has an equipment interface module (wires connect from it to the furnace and AC)
And a separate "FocusPro Wireless thermostat"

Personally, wireless seems like another link to be weak (like if on vacation in the dead of winter).
If you're concerned that the batteries in the remote thermostat could fail while on vacation, there is an option for a return-air sensor to keep it above 62'F for heating, below 82'F for cooling.
(page 3 of install guide: http://www.ntsupply.com/files/products/69-2091EFSA.pdf )

I'd probably go with a 'dial-the-phone-if-the-temperature-is-too-cold' device - then you get notified if you lose power completely, or the gas for the furnace goes out, or ...

There's a number of them available - I found at least 2 under $80 - there are many with various different features (call 1 number, call multiple numbers, etc)
https://www.google.com/search?q=freeze+protection+dialer

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123321 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/10/2012 5:55 PM
foo1bar got it.

The current position of the thermostat doesn't easily allow for relocation because of stairs, walls, etc. Also, the room where it's located is typically the coolest/hottest depending on the time of year.

The best answer I can come up with is to have some kind of wall mounted unit which will have the features of the current thermostat, but also a mobile temp sensor which can be moved from room to room. If the sensor has a temp of 78 and the thermostat is set at 76, the system kicks on - even if the temp in the thermostat's room in 75.

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123322 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/10/2012 6:14 PM
The best answer I can come up with is to have some kind of wall mounted unit which will have the features of the current thermostat, but also a mobile temp sensor which can be moved from room to room.

Honeywell has had thermostats with remote temperature sensors for decades. However, all of them I've looked at average the temperatures, which is completely wrong. To give an extreme example: if the temperature at the main thermostat is 100 degrees and you have one remote temperature sensor which is at 40 degrees, then 100+40/2=70 degrees. If the system is set, say, to heat up to 68 degrees and cool to below 85 degrees, then with one room at 100 and another at 40 it would do nothing since the 70 degree average is between the 68 and 85 degree set points. It should at least turn the fan on whenever the temperatures differ by more than a few degrees, in hopes that the air circulation would even the temperatures out... but it doesn't. In real life the temperatures aren't usually so extreme, but the example illustrates how if the temperature is several degrees too high at one sensor and several degrees too low at another, the system will do nothing to correct that (and this happens in houses, especially when you have a lot of glass and some rooms face south and others north).

It's been a few years since I looked at them. Honeywell pioneered innovations like running the system a certain number of times per hour and varying the run duration (rather than starting the system at one setpoint and continuing to run until the temperature goes a certain number of degrees above/below the setpoint) which greatly reduces swings in temperature in the rooms. Since humans are really good at feeling changes in temperature, minimizing the temperature fluctuations significantly improves comfort. It's hard to believe these people would persist in something as obviously idiotic as simply averaging all the temperatures.

Phil

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123323 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/10/2012 6:42 PM
However, all of them I've looked at average the temperatures, which is completely wrong.

The one that someone else found works with 1 remote thermostat.
With just 1 remote thermostat, and since there's no temperature monitoring at the EIM (where the wires from the furnace terminate), there wouldn't be averaging.

It can support >1 as well - and maybe it averages then -you'd have to look at it more than I'm going to.
But at least in this case, it'd do what the OP is looking for - have a thermostat somewhere other than right where the wires go to now.

For the OP - I'd recommend making sure you don't put the remote thermostat somewhere that it's directly under a vent or something - that'd obviously be bad (but that may not automatically occur to people)

Author: sean1arch Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123374 of 128651
Subject: Re: Thermostat w/ Remote Sensor Date: 12/19/2012 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we frequently specify a Flush Mount remote temperature sensor on our projects. It is a small flat disk about the size of a quarter and about 1/16" thick or so, that sits virtually flush to the sheetrock and then wires to a standard surface mount sensor (max 300 ft away) which is itself wired to a standard thermostat (max 300 ft away from Surface Mounted Sensor) both of which can be located in a discrete area. The sensor is paintable, so it really almost goes away. Here is the spec, if interested (sorry, I don't have a link).

Enerzone Systems Flush Mount Temperature Sensor #FL-IDS

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement