UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753703  
Subject: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/10/2012 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/09/166665795/forget-extinct-the-b...

Excuse me I need to go downstairs and change some exhibit tags.

mcb
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659284 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/10/2012 6:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Comment on the blog: Who cares what name you use? Dinosaurs never come when you call them, anyway. They're worse than cats.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659290 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/10/2012 7:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
--------------

These guys obviously never saw Land of the Lost.

arrete

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659291 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/10/2012 7:31 PM
Recommendations: 1

I envy them, I wish I had never seen PA

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659292 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/10/2012 7:35 PM
Recommendations: 0

Snork! Yeah, they seem pretty historic.

arrete

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659374 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/11/2012 10:18 AM
http://www.npr.org/2012/12/09/166665795/forget-extinct-the-b......

mcb

There are lots of stories like this from the history of science. I enjoy watching the show "Dark Matters" on the science channel. They depict occurances from real episodes of science experiments gone bad. Some of them are very disturbing.

I used to do a lot of studying on the creation/evolution controversy. I used to be a hardcore evolutionist myself. Not so anymore. I just don't know. But the bottom line is that scientists are just as human as the rest of us. They can cheat, lie, steal just like the rest of us. If it means getting grant money or working at a fast food restaurant, they can and often do publish false data.

Or, what is more common is the fear of publishing data that may directly contradict the current popular view. A scientist/researcher will be ridiculed, embarrased and quite possibly blackballed into scientific obscurity. It's a tough road to follow so most of them go with the flow of the scientist 'good ole boys' club.

They could make a TV reality show and call it, 'when science nerds become bullies'. ;)

Evolutionary history is ripe with such examples. Mankind is still basically clueless on origins.

decath

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659381 of 753703
Subject: Re: They all look alike in the dark Date: 12/11/2012 10:55 AM
"If it means getting grant money or working at a fast food restaurant, they can and often do publish false data." - decath

It doesn't have to be false. I'll see if I can explain this? When you are working in a lab you tend to find what you are looking for. It's like if you concentrate your effort on some theory that you believe in, for some reason the answers you get tend to "look" like they support what you believe in. It's strange how life works that way.

You do experiments that are designed to support your pet theory. So of course the answers you get look like they proove that what you believe to be true, is true.

You come up with an idea and then sit in your office and ponder what experiment you could do to proove your theory, and for some reason the idea you have have a tendency to lean towards the direction you turn your gaze to.

That's how life is. Whatever way you turn head, that is the direction you go in. Like a horse with blinders on.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement