Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121254  
Subject: Re: Wells Fargo 1099 & Wash Sale Date: 5/17/2012 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
They can't both be correct, can they? And if so, how?

Yes, they can. Because the correct treatment is different for 1099 reporting and for reporting on your 1040.

For stocks both purchased and sold in 2011, the broker has to report the basis from their records. Until 1/1/2011, brokers were not required to track your basis in the stock. Any tracking they did was a courtesy to their customers.

The purchase of this stock was in 2011. The broker was not required to know the basis of stock acquired before 2011. Therefore, they were not required to make any wash sale adjustments for sales happening before 2011. The wash sale happened in 2010, before brokers were required to track basis.

It all hinges on requirements. The fact that they actually DID know your basis is irrelevant. They were not required to know, therefore they are not required to make any wash sale adjustments based on information they were not required to know.

You, on the other hand, ARE required to track your basis. And you're still required to track your basis, even with the broker's tracking. So it's up to you to report the wash sale adjustment and not your broker.

"There is a correct way to report these transactions: does this comply?"

The question "Is this correct?" is not a fact. It is an opinion. Facts are who, what, when, where, why, how. If you had asked the broker to confirm the purchase and sale dates and the related amounts for the stock in question, he would have happily complied. Those are facts.

As a CPA, I am qualified to give my opinion on the correctness of financial reporting. Keeping track of the difference between fact and opinion is critical to me.

Let me demonstrate.

If I said, "1 + 1 = 2," you would likely say that is correct. But you are assuming that I'm doing math using base 10. If you say that statement is correct you are expressing an opinion. If I were to tell you I am using binary numbers, the statement becomes incorrect. First off, there would be no "2" in binary numbers, so the statement wouldn't make sense at all. Secondly, using binary numbers, the correct answer is "10".

Do you now see how the question "Is this correct?" is asking for an opinion and not stating a fact?

--Peter

PS - By now you should realize that I am stating my opinion that the broker's reporting on the 1099 is correct. Hence, my initial comment in the thread starts off saying "I am of the opinion ..."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement