No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an issue with a male coworker of mine. When I started out at the job, we became good friends and I had joined his family for dinner a few times but it always felt a little awkward and began to feel like he was getting too close to me. He seems to take interest in everything that I do, regurgitates my calendar to me if I have any kind of out-of-town events or hanging out with friends, whatever it may be, and picks up any hobby that I have. It’s driving me crazy!

http://time.com/money/4370526/coworker-hovers-stares-uncomfo...

In an era where technical skills demand is at an all-time high, there's one type of skill that's even more difficult to come by: soft skills.

After publishing the list of hottest skills for 2016 earlier this year, LinkedIn has also released the top sought-after soft skills. Fifty-nine percent of the surveyed hiring managers reported soft skills are difficult to find, compared to only 53 percent claiming "hard" (or specialized) skills were difficult to find. Also, 58 percent claimed that the lack of soft skills among candidates is “limiting their company’s productivity.”

Over 60 percent of hiring managers say screening candidates for soft skills is difficult, so showing you excel in these areas can help you stand out in a job search:

http://www.matrixres.com/resources/tech-trends/soft-skills-h...

Q: I’ve been asked to describe my accomplishments at work but I can’t think of any. What should I say?

I work as a direct care provider, in a non managerial or supervisor role. I just follow doctors orders. Lately, while looking for new employment, Human Resources asks in the interview (before meeting with the department heads) to describe my accomplishments in my present position. Truth is, I have none. I just take a patient list, give the therapy, move on to the next. This is how my present company has been doing it forever. They have been resistant to change, such as writing protocols, etc. I have tried to change policies but I haven’t been able to accomplish anything because of management. We are expected to do what we are told. Obviously these HR people have no clue what my job actually entails! How do I answer this?

http://time.com/money/4573994/describe-job-accomplishments/

Although tech leaders have publicly vowed to tackle the industry’s ageism problem, the reality is that professionals with impressive résumés are still being let go or pushed aside every day. As technology journalist and author Dan Lyons recently told Dice Insights: “I wish I felt otherwise, but I don’t see any sign of it changing.”

Before you hit the panic button, it’s important to note that not every tech professional has been content to retire or ride off into the sunset on their fortieth birthday. Some have fought against ageism and actually won.

While there’s no magic bullet for fixing a broken system, below are some winning strategies based on tech pros’ personal experiences.

http://insights.dice.com/2016/12/06/prevailing-against-ageis...

Atlanta’s fintech players include some big names and big employers —NCR with 3,250, First Data with 900 in the city and a total of 1,500 in the great Atlanta area, and InComm 650. KPMG has 1,142 including some experts in real-time payments, but fintech is probably only a fraction of their total head count. When London-based TruRating, which lets shoppers rate their experience with a business at the moment they pay for it, was looking for a headquarters location in the U.S., Atlanta stood out.

"I love Atlanta. It’s the U.S.’s best kept secret for a start-up," said Georgina Nelson, the company's founder and CEO. "We initially chose Atlanta because all our global payment partners were down the road, in Transaction Alley, the incredibly good value office space and the busiest airport in the word – so quick routes to our other offices," she explained.

www.forbes.com/sites/tomgroenfeldt/2016/12/08/atlantas-tech-...

Recruiters and employers now have more tools to use when researching candidates. So please take my advice and do not add your full home address to your resume. It is only giving the future employer means to create the wrong perception about you during the interview process. No one uses Map Quest anymore (comment if you do). We all use Google Maps. Google Maps has a street view function where employers can literately add in your home address click on your house and view your property. This is just awkward, below are a few examples:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stop-please-dont-add-your-ful...

Fuskie
Who found his current job through a connection on LinkedIn and so he once again invites all Fools to join the Fuskie's Foolish Support Network group on LinkedIn...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Titan International (TWI), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement