Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
they might HAVE to settle for $100 a month for the next 13 years

If you are in as dire straights as you indicate, but expect that your financial situation may improve in the future, you could make an Offer in Compromise.

Download form 433A and 433B and 656 from the IRS web site and see how you fare. You may be able to obtain funds from a source to which IRS has no legal right to and settle for a percentage of what you owe. It's a process that takes 6 to 9 months. You just have to agree to pay your taxes timely and in full the five years after they settle with you.
Any refunds you have owed you for the current year and the year of settlement is theirs.

It's a way to clear the slate and start fresh honestly.

Of you enter into a payment plan, that can only last 10 years from the year they assess you. Then if IRS hasn't been able to collect from you, the balance is dropped. Of course all this goes on your credit report which can hurt you in other ways.

Talk with a tax attorney to see what your options are.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.