UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: anniesdad Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976926  
Subject: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 59
....the fact that it’s voter suppression anymore.

Two bills filed by Republican lawmakers seek to cut back early voting and eliminate same-day registration in North Carolina.

Senate Bill 428, filed by Sen. Jerry Tillman, R-Randolph, would cut the early voting period from two weeks to one and would eliminate same-day voter registration.

House Bill 451, filed by Rep. Edgar Starnes, R-Caldwell, goes even further. In addition to cutting early voting and same-day registration, it would also outlaw early voting on Sunday and straight-ticket voting.

The Sunday ban, in particular, would affect popular “Souls to the Polls” voting drives at African-American churches.

“I think Sundays just should be – some things you just shouldn’t do on Sundays, so I am just opposed to voting on Sunday,” Starnes said.

You can practically see the hidden “those people” before the word “voting” in that sentence there. But again, Republicans are actively saying A) we make it too easy to vote in North Carolina, so we should probably put an end to it, because if you can’t vote during banker’s hours on a Tuesday, you don’t deserve to be a part of the body politic.

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2013/03/29/north-carolinas-turn...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868299 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 11:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Actually, I'd go for the elimination of straight-ticket voting and even like the idea of eliminating any indication of party affiliation on the ballot. If you think party is important, go into the ballot box with your list of people instead of looking for a color or symbol as a way to vote.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868303 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 11:36 AM
Recommendations: 25
“I think Sundays just should be – some things you just shouldn’t do on Sundays, so I am just opposed to voting on Sunday,” Starnes said.

If he doesn't like Sunday voting, then he shouldn't vote on Sundays. Me, I have no problem with it--why should I be inconvenienced by his religious scruples?

Actually, I'd go for the elimination of straight-ticket voting and even like the idea of eliminating any indication of party affiliation on the ballot. If you think party is important, go into the ballot box with your list of people instead of looking for a color or symbol as a way to vote.

I used to think this way, and used to chide my mother for doing it, but now that I'm older too, my memory isn't as good, and I don't care to juggle paper in the ballot box--where there isn't even a place to put down my purse. I voted straight-line DEMOCRAT at the last November election for the very first time (I'm 63) and was delighted with the simplicity and speed. I still went through everything as not every office has party-affiliated candidates. Given the current state of the GOP, especially here in SC, I cannot foresee voting for any Republican any time soon.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868304 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 11:48 AM
How can you outlaw straight ticket voting? Unless you are planning to watch over people's shoulders while they vote.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868306 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 11:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
OMG!! No one will be able to vote with these restrictions;-)

ROTFLOL

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868317 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 12:47 PM
How can you outlaw straight ticket voting? Unless you are planning to watch over people's shoulders while they vote.

Here in Maryland, we have a "straight ticket" option on the ballot...no thinking required. You click it on the machine and all Democrats/Republicans are filled in on the ballot. You can outlaw that, make people look at each voter instead of blindly voting for a party.

As for early voting, I hate it. I didn't like that some states had early voting available before the first debate even took place. It's called "Election Day" not "Election Week". Although I do favor making election day a weekend so there are no excuses. But early voting seems to go against the Federal Laws which determine when election day is.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868321 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 12:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
I voted straight-line DEMOCRAT at the last November election for the very first time (I'm 63) and was delighted with the simplicity

No doubt.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868322 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
I voted straight-line DEMOCRAT at the last November election for the very first time (I'm 63) and was delighted with the simplicity

NO thinking required.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868323 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 12:57 PM
As for early voting, I hate it. I didn't like that some states had early voting available before the first debate even took place. It's called "Election Day" not "Election Week". Although I do favor making election day a weekend so there are no excuses. But early voting seems to go against the Federal Laws which determine when election day is.

Agree 100%. Why not just hold continuous elections, lefties? We could be casting ballots right now for 2016.

Election DAY is about heading to the polls and making a sober decision after much forethought. It's not about convenience; it's about the duty of selecting our leaders.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868327 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 1:18 PM
Ray: "How can you outlaw straight ticket voting?"

It's not "outlawing" it -- just removing the option from the ballot to check a box to cast votes for only members of one party. Note that in some races where a party doesn't have a nominee, you're no vote is cast.

Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868331 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 1:35 PM
Good thing they are not racists.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868333 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 1:39 PM
Ray: "How can you outlaw straight ticket voting?"

It's not "outlawing" it -- just removing the option from the ballot to check a box to cast votes for only members of one party. Note that in some races where a party doesn't have a nominee, you're no vote is cast.

I could be wrong, but I think that box has been
off Calif ballot for years.

not something that matters much either way imo
though .... god knows I could have used it (>:

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868334 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 1:45 PM
If he doesn't like Sunday voting, then he shouldn't vote on Sundays. Me, I have no problem with it--why should I be inconvenienced by his religious scruples?

but that's the thing... it's not even about religion
it's about making it difficult to vote

.. to some extent that makes sense---
if its TOO easy people don't take it serious

and pick Governor much as they pick a dish soap

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868339 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 3:09 PM
We could be casting ballots right now for 2016.

_______

Don't be silly...Obama and Company are only focused on 2014 and enrolling more Democrat voters. They've been collecting the obituaries since Nov in an attempt increase "turnout".

Author: anniesdad Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868342 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 3:26 PM
Don't be silly...Obama and Company are only focused on 2014 and enrolling more Democrat voters. They've been collecting the obituaries since Nov in an attempt increase "turnout".

If everyone voted who was eligible to vote the Republican Party would cease to exist.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868346 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 4:34 PM
If everyone voted who was eligible to vote the Republican Party would cease to exist.

Keep thinking that.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868361 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 6:48 PM
Here in Maryland, we have a "straight ticket" option on the ballot...

No, we don't.

Author: NoSeeUm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868378 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 8:50 PM

That would be next.

Ensuite, someone will kindly do your voting for you.
No, no. Nevermind. We'll take care of that for you!

Jimbo

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868381 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 3/31/2013 9:14 PM
Recommendations: 45

Yes, don't for a moment imagine that the republicans continue to lose elections because of extreme policies, uncompromising caucusing, willingness to destroy the country to make their point, or their alienation of every person who isn't a middle aged christian white guy.

Yep, it's voter fraud, that's why the republicans are losing.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868397 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 7:25 AM
Recommendations: 8
Here in Maryland, we have a "straight ticket" option on the ballot...no thinking required. You click it on the machine and all Democrats/Republicans are filled in on the ballot. You can outlaw that, make people look at each voter instead of blindly voting for a party.

Why are you assuming I didn't do my research before entering the voting booth? I certainly did. But sometimes there's a very long list of offices and referenda, and most of us experience worsening memory with age. BTW straight ticket voting doesn't cover everything--usually half or so of the offices/referenda. One has, at the least, to study and form an opinion about those.

As for early voting, I hate it.

How nice for you. I love it. I was out of town for the last two November elections and that's likely to continue for the foreseeable future as there's an out of town event we go to with friends in another state.

I don;t know anyone who abuses the privilege of early voting. In my state, you need to check off the reason and sign it (reasons include, have to work that day, will be out of town, perhaps have medical care scheduled, I forget.).

I didn't like that some states had early voting available before the first debate even took place.

I see. States' rights goes out the window when conservatives don't like the result ;-)

It's called "Election Day" not "Election Week".

I see: no progress, nohow. Thanks for making conservative philosophy crystal clear.

Although I do favor making election day a weekend so there are no excuses.

Since I am out of town for a week, that would not help me. Nor would it help many people who work weekends. Someone exhausted from working on their feet all day should then wait on a long line (on the feet!) because they can only vote late in the day? How thoughtful you are!

BTW, when I was on line to vote early, I chatted with the people around me. A mix of professionals/business owners/salesmen for whom election day was an inconvenient time to be away from work, to shift workers, and people who would be out of town, whether for business or pleasure. It looked like a cross-section of my voting district. I talked with one disabled lady there with her son, who would be unavailable to take her to vote on election day because of his job. But there were more disabled people at the city office to vote early than I ever saw at the voting booth on election day. Early voting enables people with handicaps to vote at all!

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868402 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 9:12 AM
How nice for you. I love it. I was out of town for the last two November elections and that's likely to continue for the foreseeable future as there's an out of town event we go to with friends in another state.

It's called getting an absentee ballot. Those are rather easy to get and only need to be post marked the day of the election.

So you are free travel and do as needed.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868403 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 9:13 AM
No, we don't.

We do in MoCo...is it a County thing? I thought it was a State thing, but it could be unique to MoCo.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868413 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 10:44 AM
Obama and Company are only focused on 2014 and enrolling more Democrat voters. They've been collecting the obituaries since Nov in an attempt increase "turnout".

Oh, and the Republicans aren't acting in similar fashion, I suppose?

C'mon now... LOL

Vermonter

Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868418 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 11:30 AM
"Actually, I'd go for the elimination of straight-ticket voting and even like the idea of eliminating any indication of party affiliation on the ballot. "

The problem is, when you vote for any (not a) House republican you are voting for Boehner to be speaker, people that do not believe in science to head the House Science committee and such. When you vote for any republican in the state legislature you are voting for voter suppression laws, union busting and such. Unless the person you are voting for is going to make an independent decision about who should manage the legislative process, party affiliation is actually more important than the individual at least how the parties are currently aligned. As I noted in a recent thread, given the current republican party, any vote for any republican is a vote for their collective efforts to create and apartheid America, to deprive the non-White portion of the electorate of their right to vote.

V.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868450 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 1:20 PM
We do in MoCo...is it a County thing? I thought it was a State thing, but it could be unique to MoCo.

Hmmmm... maybe it is a County thing. I know we didn't have that option in Harford. They make us think up here in the sticks :)

As for Montgomery I'll take your word for it, though all my googling was unsuccessful at pulling anything about the existence (or lack thereof) of straight-ticket voting anywhere in MD. It's not included in MoCo's electoral results, in any case. Where straight-ticket option is available I'd love to know how that breaks down by party.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868483 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 4:35 PM

And of course you have evidence and will share it with the media and with the FBI. Or are you talking through your a... ummm -- hat again.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868501 of 1976926
Subject: Re: They’re not even trying to hide Date: 4/1/2013 7:00 PM
It's called getting an absentee ballot.

Which is just another form of early voting. Why is this good but actually going to an early voting location is bad?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement