Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Unexpected windfall Date: 6/22/2007 6:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
They're fine for their "retirement years", which began two decades ago. This real estate is one of five parcels my uncle talked them into 18 years ago, and my sister (anesthesiologist, BIL is a neurosurgeon) has helped them with their other investments along the way.

I hate to be the one who always has a skunk in tow at the garden party, but....

This is good news, but make sure they have considered long-term care issues. I hope the saddest day of my life was the day that I had to tell my father that he would run out of money in about 9 months. My parents went through well over $200,000 in the last 2 years of their lives. I'm just thankful that they had it, and we were able to keep them at home.

I've had occasion to opine on end-of-life issues on another board recently: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25611952

Modern medical science can keep the heart beating long after the body has exceeded its shelf life. Prepare for it.

I realize that I sound harsh about doctors, and I don't mean to be. I recognize that they are given little preparation for their 100% failure rate. They are trained to cure, and, as Wise Cousin Barbara pointed out after my last trip to the ER with my father, when you show up they assume that you want them to do something.

I thank God daily for people who work in hospice. They were truly a blessing for me.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement