Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SRL66 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1162  
Subject: Thieves in the Temple Date: 2/16/2000 2:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
This evening, I checked out the history of Yahoo's "wallstrtbull" with more detail. (For those out of the loop, he [or she] was the "source" of GT's buyout by GE or DD at $38/share. He mentioned an article in a "Detroit newspaper" but would not be more specific.)

The very first posting I saw was someone's response to him that read as such:

"This is intriguing news, but could you please cite your sources, especially the $60 bid price which no wire service has ever reported on. I hope you are right, but will reserve any enthusiam until you reply."

I thought: "Another unsubstantiated GT plug by Wallstrtbull." But this message was in fact posted on Yahoo's board for Gillette (G).

I checked back a little farther and did some research on G. G currently trades at $38.25/share. They are looking to sell off portions of their business, and PG has been mentioned in the media as a merger candidate, but no legitimate price for the whole company has been stated.

Here's Wallstrtbull's original post on the G board:

"Reuters:PROCTER & GAMBLE CFO DECLINES C
by: wallstrtbull (32/M/New York, New York)

2/15/00 12:27 pm
Msg: 5232 of 5253

PG is not about to let G get away...especially with sinking low stock price.

PG will probably up the bid to $66 with stock swap and no cash.

Answer to question posted earlier: $60 is verified. If I disclosed my sources, he would never trust me again. I have to [k]eep this discrete but trust me....$60 was the offer price.

Is this person opining, lying, or merely illegally disclosing insider info? You choose.

I have also found spam postings boasting Sikaman Corp. (SKG) posted by Wallstrtbull on the Yahoo boards of EBAY, EGRP, YHOO, and several others.

Sigh... I know this is only faintly related to GT, but I do have a point.

1. No one who posts rumours or unsubstantiated "facts" is to be trusted. This includes me, Rebekah111, Cejhals, Caveman 2, the Gardner brothers, Queen Elizabeth, the Pope, etc.

2. In truth, alleging that you read something "in a Detroit newspaper" is more insidious than your mere opinion, because it implies that you have facts to back you up.

3. Always ask for the facts and the source. Demand them.

Maybe Wallstrtbull is right. GT will be bought out at $38, and maybe G will be bought out at $60. Who knows. But it worries me that otherwise intelligent people might be making investment decisions (or at least be swayed) based on these rumours.

As they say, Fool on.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement