Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445670  
Subject: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A friend (who voted Obama this time) was telling me that he could never vote for Hillary in 2016. He asserts that the White House chief butler prevented the Clintons from looting the White House when they were moving out. I've done some searching, and I found (debunked) claims of vandalism by staffers, but nothing at all about the alleged pilfering. Anyone ever heard of this? He claims it was all over the TV news at the time. I don't remember it all.

Snopes doesn't have it.

This guy is reasonable. If I can demonstrate he's incorrect he will acknowledge it. But I got nuthin'. (Of course, if he's correct then she would be a terrible choice in 2016 as the GOP would "chief butler" her in a heart-beat.)

1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414494 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 10:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
What did you used for a search?

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=toolbar-instant&hl=...

Here's one link

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/jun2002/gao-j14.shtml

and another

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/12/nation/na-clinton12

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414496 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 5
Is not the burden on your friend who makes the claim? Can you not ask questions in a way that does not offend?

i.e., "Oh, that sounds terrible? How did you find out about it? I'd like to learn more." etc.

The right wing nuts that I know in real life respond poorly to being challenged, but if you take them at face value and ask them to explain the basis for their claims they sometimes figure out that their claims are not what they seem.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414497 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 10:19 AM
Forget stealing the WH silver. Look at Rose Law Firm of which Hillary was a senior partner.

I'm a progressive not a Clintonite.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414499 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 10:25 AM
I used "Clinton's chief butler" and "thief Clinton" and "theft Clinton". Neither turned up anything useful. There was the vandalism...I found that, but also found an article quoting the GAO as saying the reports were exaggerated and nothing unusual had occurred. Plus another in which Bush said the news reports (of vandalism and looting Air Force One) were wrong.

Friend said he knew the vandalism charge was bogus, but maintains the chief butler stopped the Clintons from taking furniture and other stuff, and the only reason anyone knew was because of a leak (i.e. the butler didn't go public, but someone else squealed).

Your links are similar to what I found, and none of them mention the butler stopping them. Friend saw my links I sent and said "no, not that".

I really wonder if he caught a blurb on FOX, or something similar. You would think something like that wouldn't be too hard to google-up.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414501 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 10:50 AM
Life used to be quite a lot simpler - now more folks get
divorced even late in life. Without the "half" benefit, there
would a few ladies hurting more than they already are.

=================================

Sounds like a story to me.

I know it's probably the way I'm reading it, but it sounds like Hillary was on one end and Bill on the other moving the couch out the door.

I just doesn't make sense...what were the Clintons doing, telling the movers what furniture to load?

Jean

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414503 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 11:01 AM
I'm not sure where you got that, but changing the search to "clintons moving sofa" led to this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=121856&page=1

Former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, have sent $28,000 worth of household goods back to Washington after questions arose over whether the items were intended as personal gifts or donations to the White House.

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414506 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 13
A friend (who voted Obama this time) was telling me that he could never vote for Hillary in 2016. He asserts that the White House chief butler prevented the Clintons from looting the White House when they were moving out.

The antidote for absurd claims is a little common sense. First of all, can you imagine any place with higher security than the White House? Also consider the hundreds of staffers who work in the White House and all the accountability that goes with those jobs. Now imagine the likelihood of getting caught in such an act.

Next recall that the Clintons are multi-millionaires who have the money to purchase pretty much anything that their hearts desire. Also recall that Hillary has political aspirations, would she risk these for a few place settings or a candlestick? Finally recall that say what you like about the Clintons, but both of them are highly intelligent people, they are many things but stupid is not one of them.

I suggest your friend adjust the tension on his tin foil hat.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414520 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/10/2012 12:49 PM
1pg: A friend (who voted Obama this time) was telling me that he could never vote for Hillary in 2016. He asserts that the White House chief butler prevented the Clintons from looting the White House when they were moving out. I've done some searching, and I found (debunked) claims of vandalism by staffers, but nothing at all about the alleged pilfering. Anyone ever heard of this? He claims it was all over the TV news at the time. I don't remember it all.

I remember reading claims about it at the time, including specific claims that Clinton staffers had pried off all the "W" keys on typewriters and keyboards. And claims that these stories were fabricated. (This might help you with your google-fu.)

rj

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414570 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/11/2012 4:14 PM
Recommendations: 79
This guy is reasonable. If I can demonstrate he's incorrect he will acknowledge it. But I got nuthin'. (Of course, if he's correct then she would be a terrible choice in 2016 as the GOP would "chief butler" her in a heart-beat.)

Your friend is right in that there were "many" stories at the time. What he doesn't remember is that most of the stories were debunked or wildly exaggerated, but those sorts of things don't garner the headlines when the results of the GAO investigation come out six months later.

There were "pranks", such as a couple of "W"'s missing from computer keyboards, but the number was "a few", not "hundreds" as was originally reported. (It might be well to recall that there were very bad feelings about Republicans in the Clinton White House, after having gone through 8 years of wild witch hunts, formal investigations, and all the rest that the country - and particularly staffers - endured in the 1990's.)

There were a few nameplates which disappeared, which I find entirely believable; if I had worked in the White House I would likely have wanted to take something with me, too.

There was one piece of furniture, I believe, which was returned, and which was credited to confusion over whether it was a gift to the Clinton's personally or to the White House. (Same thing happened with Ronald Reagan, BTW.)

Otherwise, it's gigantically a non-issue, and as the GAO report said, it was nothing that doesn't happen after any long-term tenant moves out. But I'm sure that won't convince your friend, if he is determined to believe it anyway. Sadly it's just more of the mudslinging that has become politics today, and people are going to believe what they are going to believe. (It's even sadder that we have to launch an official investigation into such nonsense, especially coming on the heels of the tens of millions of dollars wasted by Kenneth Starr & friends trying to discredit and even overthrow (Constitutionally, perhaps, but still coup-de-tat) a Presidency in progress for what, as it turns out, was a minor sexual escapade between consenting adults.

(It might be worth noting that 10 times as many Reagan administration officials went to jail as those in the Clinton administration, and the Reaganites were taken down for such things as subverting the Constitution, lying to Congress, perjury, obstruction of justice, largely relating to the sale of weapons to a state enemy to fund a war specifically proscribed by Congress, but hey, let's make a big deal of a couple of computer keyboards.)

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414584 of 445670
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/12/2012 11:09 AM
He claims it was all over the TV news at the time.

Your friend needs to watch this episode:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s13e13-dances...

Sometimes, the more stories there are, the less believable they become, especially about something so daft...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement