Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22595  
Subject: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
1. Complaints about the President's vacation schedule.
2. Complaints about the use of the filibuster.
3. Complaints about increasing the debt ceiling.

I hear the same arguments followed by the same rebuttals over and over again. The only thing that changes is who is arguing and who is rebutting as the Presidency and the Senate change hands.

Wally
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21455 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 11:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
How about state senate bills with goofy names? We had a "Opossum Right to Work Act" introduced this year.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21456 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 12:50 PM
We had a "Opossum Right to Work Act" introduced this year.

You mean an Opossum Right to Work Act!

-synchronicity

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21457 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 1

Did you use a spreadsheet to figure out my grammar mistake?

PSU
"The Opossum Right to Work Act"

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21458 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 1:16 PM
How about state senate bills with goofy names? We had a "Opossum Right to Work Act" introduced this year.

Should have been the Promoting Opossum Gainful Opportunity Act.

No goofy state senate bill is complete without a good goofy acronym for the act.

Albaby

Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21459 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 0

The O is not pronounced so the a is correct.

Wally <- Spoiling for a fight!

And also, you use "a" for any word that starts with the long U, like unicorn (or the example I gave in fourth grade, unilateral disarmament).

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21460 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 2:40 PM

I'm surprised the state senators spelled it with an O.

Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21461 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 2:45 PM
I'm surprised the state senators spelled it with an O.

You know what? I don't actually mind them being goofy if they actually are trying to be goofy. It's when they say stupid stuff with a straight face that gets me riled up.

Wally

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21462 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 3:15 PM

Wally <- Spoiling for a fight!

And also, you use "a" for any word that starts with the long U, like unicorn (or the example I gave in fourth grade, unilateral disarmament).

You wanna really tick me off, let's get into "a historian" vs. "an historian"!

-synchronicity, who was once a history major

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21463 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 3:25 PM
I don't actually mind them being goofy if they actually are trying to be goofy. It's when they say stupid stuff with a straight face that gets me riled up.

We had a state rep a few years back who wanted to put toll booths on all the major roads between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, but the tolls would only be charged for New Hampshire cars entering Massachusetts. Massachusetts cars returning from New Hampshire would't have to pay.

Nancy

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21464 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 3:41 PM
We had a state rep a few years back who wanted to put toll booths on all the major roads between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, but the tolls would only be charged for New Hampshire cars entering Massachusetts.

What about cars entering Mass from Maine or Vermont?

Perhaps the Massachusetts state rep was annoyed with the N.H. State motto imprinted on each license plate, "Live Free or Die".

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21465 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 3:48 PM
Perhaps the Massachusetts state rep was annoyed with the N.H. State motto imprinted on each license plate, "Live Free or Die".

No, Massachusetts residents are often outraged that Massachusetts residents have to pay an excise tax and New Hampshire residents don't, and New Hampshire residents are allowed to drive on Massachusetts roads that are paid for with Massachusetts money.

They're a little weird up there in Haverhill. There was a discussion once about widening Route 125 so it would be a four lane road (two lanes in each direction), and the people in Haverhill didn't want to do that because New Hampshire residents would benefit.

Nancy

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21466 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 4:34 PM
Initially I was JK about the state motto of N.H. But as you explain above, it now appears the Mass state representative was accurately representing the interests of his constituents by introducing a tax specific to residents of the Granite State. I actually find that refreshing.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21467 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 5:38 PM
it now appears the Mass state representative was accurately representing the interests of his constituents

Her constituents. Not his. But what I thought was crazy about the plan (which would have been batted down by the Supreme Court) was the idea to put the tolls on the state highways. I could see thousands of people, attempting to avoid the tolls, driving on all the smaller roads, thus endangering children and pets, creating backups all over the place, and generally making a terrible mess.

Nancy

Author: WallyLock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21468 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 9:14 PM
Recommendations: 5
I could see thousands of people, attempting to avoid the tolls, driving on all the smaller roads, thus endangering children and pets, creating backups all over the place, and generally making a terrible mess.

I see you've been to Oklahoma.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21469 of 22595
Subject: Re: Things I can't take seriously anymore Date: 2/20/2013 10:09 PM
I see you've been to Oklahoma.

New Hampshire. Where thousands of people try to evade a toll on I-95 by driving on Route 1.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement