Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bjdArch Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 315  
Subject: Things I Like Date: 7/12/1999 8:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife always tells me that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't anything at all (she's such a goody-goody), so I thought I'd share some things I actually Like (particularly semi-annoying language things).

I like sports analogies. Especially Baseball analogies: "You really hit that one out of the park, Ellen." "A solid base hit, Gordon." "You've already got two stikes against you, Casey." "AOL, a ten-bagger!"

I like famous lines from famous movies, or even kinda memorable lines from obscure movies: "I don't wanna kill you an' you don't wanna be dead." (-Danny Glover in Silverado). "Her insides were like a rocky place were my seed could find no purchase." (-Nicolas Cage in Raising Arizona).

You have to be careful with that one though, I know a guy who communicates almost exclusively by quoting lines from movies that no one has ever seen and after a while you begin to wonder how many VCR's this guy's gone through.

I love cliches. Or more exactly, proverbs. No, not the Biblical kind the, you know, cliche kind. Like: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and "You can lead a horse to water..." or " A stitch in time..." and of course, "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

tra-la-la...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 7/12/1999 10:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<I love cliches. Or more exactly, proverbs. No, not the Biblical kind the, you know, cliche kind. Like: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and "You can lead a horse to water...">

I like tweaked cliches. Like: "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

I looked for a website that might have more, but didn't have any luck.

An aside: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I posted a message yesterday with the ever hated "it's" when it should've been, "its." To any of you who cried or got ill from the sight of it, my apologies.
;^)

Smrt(_l_)

Author: TMFJudy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 7/13/1999 1:13 AM
Hello,

This is a good thread to start on this board. Thanks, bjdArch. If anything, it "proves" that we who have pet peeves are not walking through life with a permanent frown. In fact, I'm convinced that I always have a smile on my face, since I'm constantly stopped and asked for directions, the time, and so forth. It's as if people KNOW that I like to be helpful.

So, what do I like? Hmm...so many things that it's hard to isolate just a few of them.

**I like listening to (or reading) ideas that are orderly and innovative.

**I like hearing foreign languages spoken; I've formally studied seven foreign languages, as I feel that knowing a language opens the door to new cultures and new ways of thinking. Since I love to travel, knowing a variety of languages is also a boon.

**I like hearing well-crafted descriptions of people, of places, of foods (yum).

I've limited these likes to language "items" because I could write for hours about the other things that I like, from Vermeer paintings to good friends to lobster.

Having written of some things that I like, I now feel free to post some more pet peeves. Later.

Judith Ames
TMFJudy

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 7/13/1999 1:55 AM
I liked listening to my favorite teacher speak. I loved her diction, her precise articulation, her perfect modeling of spoken language. I was lucky enough to have her as my English teacher for three years. She was wonderful. I could hear her in me when I would model speech to children when I was working as a speech pathologist.

I love good writing. A clever turn of phrase is music to my ears. Like Judy, I enjoy well written descriptions of things.

I like good spelling. I know that I make the occasional spelling error, but I don't mind looking something up when I'm not sure.

I like dictionaries and I'm not afraid to use them. When I was doing language therapy, I would often have three dictionaries out and would look up a word in all three, always trying to find the definitions that spoke most clearly to the children whose language concepts were very poor.

I like a good thesaurus. (I use www.thesaurus.com often.)

Patti

Author: lacow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 7/27/1999 5:17 PM
Hi,

A great thread about things liked as well as things disliked! Let's hope the peeves will always be a much smaller part of our lives than the joys!

I'm a little late to this thread having just come back from vacation --which is something I like. :)

Vacations are wonderful for many reasons but I sometimes think their greatest value lies in simply breaking me out of my daily routines. Without any effort on my part vacations make me think about things differently. New perspectives seem to come about spontaneously. I think vacations are kind of like fresh air for the mind, body, and soul.

It was the strangest thing, but during vacation I heard some people speaking German and I suddenly had the urge to learn that language. I have no clue for what purpose, but I feel I'd like to learn some German. I've studied Italian, French, and Spanish. (Languages are also something I love.) Does anyone have any suggestions for learning German online? I'd greatly appreciate any tips.

I'm just so relaxed and content after vacation that I have no peeves right now, but I know where to come when I get peeved off!

Fool on,

Lydia

Author: TMFJudy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 7/27/1999 6:42 PM
Lydia asks: <Does anyone have any suggestions for learning German online? I'd greatly appreciate any tips.>
--------------
Lydia,

We're definitely in agreement about vacations. The break in one's daily routine is very refreshing.

I've studied about seven languages formally and will always be interested in language learning. Here are some sites that have German language material online. I can't vouch for the accuracy or the ease of use, but here they are for your perusal:
http://www.uncg.edu/~lixlpurc/GIP/german_units/exercover.html
http://www.aatg.org/link.html (lots of links)
http://www.texthaus.com/ (a software program but has some online exercises.)

Hope this helps.

Auf Wiedersehen,
Judith Ames
TMFJudy

Author: wallstar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 4/6/2000 5:32 AM
Hi Lydia,

It was the strangest thing, but during vacation I heard some people speaking German and I suddenly had the urge to learn that language. I have no clue for what purpose, but I feel I'd like to learn some
German. I've studied Italian, French, and Spanish. (Languages are also something I love.) Does anyone have any suggestions for learning German online? I'd greatly appreciate any tips.

I decided to learn German and bought a book. Halfway through I decided I would appreciate some other approach so I bought a different book. Then I bought a book of "Verb Drills" because the others didn't have any real homework in them. Total cost, about $40. Ten years later I took a year's worth of German at a community college, for which I spent $400 on tuition and books. Guess what? It covered exactly all the same material I had already learned on my own.

As for the online part, I am just not going to read a whole page of anything on a computer screen. I want paper pages that I can turn to the light, spread across my lap, put a physical marker in, and write notes on.

Suggestions: Get nursery rhymes and fairy tales to start with (from the library). Get a newspaper (should be able to locate one with a net search, if not, email me and I will get you a snailmail address in LA). Try to locate an email pal in Germany who will record news broadcasts and talk shows on German radio and send them to you. Get a friend to learn with you.

Author: AnnaSaveMe Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 313 of 315
Subject: Re: Things I Like Date: 9/19/2005 6:18 PM
An aside: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I posted a message yesterday with the ever hated "it's" when it should've been, "its." To any of you who cried or got ill from the sight of it, my apologies.

Well, your admission of guilt goes a long way toward getting me back on my feet again.

ASM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement