Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57283  
Subject: thinking about quitting Date: 2/27/2002 10:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been trying to quit smoking for almost two years now. I guess that I don't have the willpower it takes. My doctor today told me that I really need to quit so I'm going to have to quit. I know that it's not good for me or for my four year old son. Thank goodness maybe with this discussion board I can finally have the support I need to be able to quit.
Vicki
Print the post Back To Top
Author: khalou Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27549 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/27/2002 10:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Vicki,

Oh, BOY, have you come to the right place!

Might I suggest checking out the FAQs. (There are more than one)

If you MUST quit, you won't find any better place to do it than here. We won't ever question your feelings. We won't ever judge your honest assesments. But we WILL show you how Quitting isn't really impossible for you. And that's the important thing, isn't it? 'For you' You're unique. No one knows the degree of the slope you're endeavoring to climb but you.

That's ok.

The addiction is whatever your particular personality makes it. Trust me though, however unique your personality may be, and consequently whatever degree of slope you must climb, there are certain absolutes that this board has developed throught the years (and 27000 + posts!) that can really help you. Many of it's posters consider this board to be the difference. It will be for you as well.

Welcome and do me a favor. :o) Remember this post. You'll find out that I'm right- much to your advantage!

You'd read it in one of the Faq's, but might I suggest Zyban (generic wellbutrin) as a first step to your freedom. Take advantage of whatever will help you! Ask your doctor.

Brian

Author: Caesium Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27550 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 1:20 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hi Hueysmom,

3 weeks ago I was like you.
I set a target date for when I am ging to quit which is tomorrow 1st March.
I have fretted and worried about it, I have tried to reduce with some success some days and none on others.
But I am still committed to stopping smoking tomorrow.
It will not be easy but what I have tried to do is place in my mind a mental mindset of being a non smoker. Of thinking instead of smoking what am I going to do.
Well I am going to eat more, and not care. I am going to breathe easier, I suffer from sporadic and minor Asthma occassionally, I go to the gym and now I am going to run for 15 minutes instead of 5 and I am going to recover after cycling 10 minutes faster than I did before and I am going to breathe again.
I am going to smell nicer to myself and those around me.
I am going to taste my food again (I gave up 19 yers ago for a little over a year and yes it it so true, you do taste your food again).
I am going to read the posts on this board to refresh my motivation when it fades as it inevitably will.
But most of all I am going to respect myself for defeating something that I am worried may defeat me.
It is a war and it is fought by winning each battle,one by one, even if you lose the odd battle do not stop fighting the war until you defeat the enemy.
The first step is to beleive that you want to quit and enter the war to win back your body and self respect.
I hope if you are wishing to that you can too.

Regards
Caesium

Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27551 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 7:44 AM
Hi!
I bin lurkin'... I think it's time to "come out"...<g>

hueysmom sed she wants to quit;

Caesium sed:
"I am going to quit ... tomorrow, 1st March."

I'm sayin':

I want/need to quit, too.

So, if I may, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with ya.

ColdTurkey£izard
www.slocm.com

Author: OKlady8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27552 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 7:54 AM
Welcome Vicki. We're delighted you found us. A lot of us on this board thought we could never quit(especially me), but with a firm determination, strong motivation and a lot of help from various sources, we have been able to reach that place called smobriety. For me, one of the great helps was a prescription called Wellbutrin. After taking it for a month, I had cut down to only taking a drag or two, once or twice a day! This board was the greatest. I practically lived on this computer, reading the FAQ, the posts, or posting. I know you can do this! Tell us your plan of action and share your fears and frustrations with us.

Helen

Two years, six months, one week, six days, 4 hours, 51 minutes and 22 seconds. 37128 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,590.53. Life saved: 18 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, 0 minutes.

Author: OKlady8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27553 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 8:02 AM
Congratulations, Lizard! It's perhaps one of the best decisions you could ever make. I know you can do this. I think you are brave to try it "cold turkey" but many have succeeded that way. I needed all the help I could find! Tell us about your plan of action. I highly recommend reading the FAQ's. There is a world of information in those pages.

Welcome to this board!

Helen

Two years, six months, one week, six days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 20 seconds. 37128 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,590.57. Life saved: 18 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, 0 minutes.

Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27554 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 8:17 AM
"I think you are brave to try it "cold turkey" ...I highly recommend reading the FAQ's"

Not brave...can't seem to find Wellbutrin OTC (it's not there yet, izzit?)

I just came out of the FAQ's & found a lot of deal links, including the one to $5 off Zyban, the "no-smoke counter thingy", the e-mail to becca (from her web-site), and (from the profile) that one of the founders of this board (Cadreamer) is no longer here (where?)..

(Sheesh! Ihaven'tevenquityet,andamalreadyquitanal!)

But, all in all, thanks, Helen! (& all)...

§oon2ßX§mokin£izard

Author: Caesium Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27555 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 8:41 AM
Welcome Lizard,

I'm doing it cold turkey!

You planning on March 1st too or is that too soon for you?

Caesium
I will quit smoking in 13 hours, 13 minutes and 50 seconds.

Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27556 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 8:53 AM
"You planning on March 1st too or is that too soon for you?"

I think it's timely....I woulda hadda B-Day tomorra, but it seemz to have fallen off de calendar, so why not, eh?

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27557 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:11 AM
Vicki,

Welcome to the board! You've come to the right place to get the support you need to quit. I've said it before, I couldn't have quit 2 1/2 years ago without the help I found here.

Quitting takes so much, not just willpower. I think, other than support, knowledge also played a big part in my quit. I wasn't stupid before... I knew the risks and the statistics.But I rationalized those away because of my addiction. Finally *knowing* the facts and that they did in fact apply to me helped tremendously. And that just took a few days smober. I couldn't believe how much better I felt in just a couple of days. And then I realized that I really did get sick far more when I smoked. And so did my kids.

Before I quit cold turkey I started to cut down. I stopped smoking in my bedroom first thing in the morning, and then I stopped smoking until I was in the car, and then I waited until I got to work. All of those things helped when I was ready to finally quit.

Because you have a 4 year old, if you haven't already done so, why not start with not smoking in the house or car. It will make smoking far less convenient for you (a good thing) and it really will improve your son's health. No cheating! You will quit when you are ready. But until then, this would be a good first step. What do you think?

Keep posting and let us know how we can help.

Rebecca

Author: Caesium Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27558 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:12 AM
Bravo! my freind and early B/day wishes, what a nice present you have given yourself.

I do not know which time zone you are in but I am GMT +4, but I see you are US based so it is further incentive to me not to fall off the wagon before you even get up in the morning!

As Friday is a weekend here in the Emirates I planned to stop as it will be "easier" as I will not be in the office all day sat next to a 40-60 a day man.
I have planned my day quite deliberately tomorrow to avoid the normal temptations.
For example, and despite it being the weekend I will be in the office for a couple of hours (alone), followed by a bit of shopping, then out for some lunch somewhere followed by a trip to the cinema.(You can't smoke in there, maybe I should move in and live there for a few weeks!)
Late afternoon return home post on the board my hopeful success, then a quiet evening ending with the 1st show of survivor Marquesas and bed.
If I can acheive all that without a cigarette then I have far more resolve and willpower to avoid smoking on Saturday, a normal working day here, when the office is fully staffed and my chimney next door lights up.

Anyways brave decision Lizard and lets stay in touch.
Regards
Caesium
p.s. Download the quitmeter, hit yr hot key and this appears.
I will quit smoking in 12 hours, 44 minutes and 39 seconds.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27559 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:16 AM
Hi, SmokinLizard. Welcome to the board. It seems I've seen you around on other parts of The Fool.

I quit cold turkey and it really is doable. Not easy, but I'm not sure it's ever really easy. Just take it one craving at a time. They will pass, even if only very briefly at first. Keep posting and let us know how we can help.

Rebecca

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27560 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:19 AM
Lizard,

happy birthday, anyway! :) What a GREAT present to give yourself on an off-year.

Rebecca

Author: Euro02 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27561 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:39 AM
I guess that you'll have to be called the Smokeless Lizard from now on. Hang in there and we'll help as much as possible. Tomorrow is as good a day as it comes for stopping smoking.

And keep the C&H coming. It keeps me smiling.

Mike €€ Not smoking for 1 year and three months on Greg's birthday!

Author: SmokinLizard Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27562 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:49 AM
Hey, Mike €€!

Didn't know you hung out here!

Congrats, btw!

Hopin'gettin'thismonkeyoffmyback'llallowmetogetonwithmylife£izard

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27563 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 12:01 PM
Recommendations: 4
you'll have to be called the Smokeless Lizard from now on

Or make it SmokedLizard which even comes with it's own BBQ Sauce!

Welcome! I quit successfully once cold turkey and relapsed later. I quit successfully once by patch and relapsed later. I quit successfully with Wellbutrin(Zyban) and made sure that I am not going to relapse later. Withdrawal from nicotine addiction lasts 3-4 days. Breaking the habits of smoking and establishing a new non-smoking lifestyle takes months. During these early months our minds are constantly playing games to fill the void from quitting with a return to smoking. Having good support from people who have experienced and understand the emotions of quitting is what most of us feel has lead to our success at quitting. That feeling also leads many of us to stick around and help others achieve the same success. Eventually not smoking becomes easy and natural even though at first that does not seem likely. Start by making a written list of reasons for quitting and not smoking. Keep adding to that list every new reason that pops into your mind. We tend to forget those reasons when we are justifying having a cigarette to ourselves but not if they are on paper in front of your eyes. Like catching a Junebug in the forehead because I wouldn't wear my full face helmet while riding my old BMW boxer twin because I couldn't smoke with it on. Other reasons: my chronic cough, the burned clothes, the stink, choosing where I can or can't go because of smoking, the burn on the antique mahogany end table, etc, etc, etc.... People who have not smoked just do not understand, although some do try hard. When the will starts to falter having someone to help you get your resolve back together makes all the difference. We are here to help you succeed (and when you do, you can throw us a BBQ<g>).

Live Long, Breath Deep and Prosper!

Elliott

Two years, three weeks, three days, 12 hours, 0 minutes and 37 seconds. 33997 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,249.69. Life saved: 16 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes.

Elliott

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27564 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 1:20 PM
Welcome, Vickie, Caes... and SoManyWordsTypedInARowLizard! The first of the month club accepts you into membership. If willpower doesn't work try won'tpower but my favorite method is procrastination I would put off smoking that next cigarette til the right time.
Ed

Hasn't been the right time for One month, three weeks, six days, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 22 seconds. 1171 cigarettes not smoked, saving $175.67. Life saved: 4 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes.

Gonna roll over to 2 months tommorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: lkrueger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27567 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 3:35 PM
No£onger£urkinColdTurkey£izard, widely known fan of StupendousMan, backed up by SpacemanSpiff, backed up by a few thousand Fools, backed up by Leon should make it look easy. But it won't be.

Snooping on the activities of my Favorite Fools, I happened on your post. Never read anything on that [this] board before. Since I'm behind by 27K+ posts, I probably won't start now, and won't post this. [A guy can change his mind, can't he?]

As encouragement to you, my story. When I first started smoking, I worked in a Phillips 66 station and our vending machine took 1 quarter and had 2 pennies change inserted in the cellophane of each pack of non-filtered cigarettes. I stopped cold turkey (but not without help, more later) about 13 years ago. My wife, Karen, smoked about two packs a day of low tar, low taste, low satisfaction cigarettes -- blue TRUE, I think. By the time we quit, I had mostly switched from Pall Mall to Velvet, sometimes rolled, usually in a pipe. Always inhaled, loved it. But not smart. My daughter was two and my son was just a gleam in my eye. We wanted to live to see our family grow up.

Karen & I decided together to quit together. We signed up for a program offered at a local hospital. The particular program was Smoke Stoppers, if my memory is correct. It was a help, but nothing magical. Mostly just the kind of help the Speaker's Corner / Quitting Smoking is likely to be -- ideas, encouragement, and moral support.

We picked a date. Threw away the tobacco, matches, lighters (I cheated, kept the Zippo my dad had carried during WW II), etc. Cold turkey. We didn't use gum or anything else. Neither of us could have succeeded if the other had continued to smoke. Both lived through it. Neither Karen nor I have smoked ANYTHING since. Saved a gazillion bucks in direct expenses, and probably banking even more in health problems avoided. Karen has become one of those very obnoxious people who can smell smoke/smokers from a mile away and hates it. If the wind shifts while I'm using the Weber, she will turn up her nose because she can smell smoke on my shirt. )^: I, on the other hand, walk past smokers huddled in disgrace in front of a public building and take a long, deep inhale. Still like it, but without wanting it - does that make sense?? I am the sort that could have one relapse and it would be permanent.

Weight gain? I weighed ~160# when I got married, gained to about 175#. Gained on up to 190# when we quite smoking. But now under 170#, not an exerciser or dieter. Karen gained some too, but now weighs the same as 20 years ago.

I was tempted to out you on the BBQ board -- lots of support there. But I won't. You should.

Good luck, ColdTurkey£izard [and other quitters]. My prayers are with you.

Leon

Author: OKlady8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27568 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 4:02 PM
Lizard: You're right - neither Zyban nor Wellbutrin are OTC, but your doc. would certainly give you a prescription if you told him it was to help you quit smoking. I used Wellbutrin, the patches and the Nicorette gum.

CaDreamer is not longer active on the board, but she does pop in on rare occasions to see how everyone is doing. I stay in contact with her privately from time to time. We really miss her on this board.

Helen

Two years, six months, one week, six days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 0 seconds. 37141 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,592.94. Life saved: 18 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes.

Author: OKlady8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27569 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 4:06 PM
Lizard: Ditto Rebecca's et al Birthday greetings.

Helen

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27570 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 4:44 PM
Ed,

Procrastination was the name of my game, too. Well, one of several games. :)

And if I don't see you tomorrow, CONGRATS on TWO MONTHS!!! You're headed for BRONZE!

Rebecca

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27572 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 4:50 PM
Leon,

Welcome. I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27573 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 5:01 PM
Hueysmom and Lizard,

Since I am late to the Welcome Party and you have been sent posts by so many, I will just add my name to the welcome to the board list.
This is the place to be- it works, no matter what way of quitting you choose.
I am a cold turkey quitter and ate my way through the first three months, esp. Oreo cookies. Of course I gained weight and still haven't lost it. But I don't smoke.

Good Luck and POST,POST,POST
Shelley
Three years, four months, two weeks, six days, 10 hours, 9 minutes and 59 seconds. 24788 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,718.39. Life saved: 12 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes.

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27575 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 5:37 PM
Leon

Wow Leon, your quit sounds so much like mine. I know what you mean about smoke still smelling good. I notice at bus stops and outside of public building. "Excuse me, don't get the wrong impression as I stand close to you, I just want to get a good whiff of the smoke. No thanks, I don't want a cigarette, I quit years ago, but I still like the smell."

SmokelessLizard, no let's try again since that is chew, NoSmokeLizard.

Your right Wellbutrin/Zyban is prescription. When i quit cold turkey years ago Nicorette was still prescription, patches hadn't been invented, and since drug companies couldn't advertise I don't know if Wellbutrin existed. What worked for me was I wanted something more than a cigarette. In my case it was a computer that I was going to pay for with the money I didn't spend on cigarettes.

~~paul
Twelve years, two months, three weeks, six days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and 36 seconds.
178906 cigarettes not smoked, saving $22,363.25 at $2.50/pack.
Life Saved: Mine. Lives Improved: My family
Life saved: 1 year, 36 weeks, 5 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27576 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 6:15 PM
Hueysmom and Lizard,

Since I am late to the Welcome Party and you have been sent posts by so many, I will just add my name to the welcome to the board list.

ME TOO! (what she said)

Some day you'll 'think' smoking is pretty stupid.
And you'll actually believe it.

cat

One year, ten months, two days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 23 seconds. 26,928 cigarettes not smoked, saving $7,069.21. Life saved: 13 weeks, 2 days, 12 hours, 0 minutes.

Author: L2J Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27580 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 8:59 PM
Come on in Vicki, welcome!

You are in the right place, lotsa a good folks here and many of us has been where you are now. No hiding the truth, none of us had it easy but it can be done and you can do it.

Its just one step and one day at a time. I believe you have already taken the first major hurdle; the decision to quit. Once that is behind you,then the method. Whatever your approach, there is someone here that has used or is using the same. I personally, went cold turkey...sorta of. I prepped myself for about 6months, cutting down from just over a pack aday to 10-12 cigs/day. I also, lost around 20-25 lbs. My wife, Linda is currently using the patch (nicoderm, and about half way through the program. We both had tried accupuncture, gotta her off for 2weeks until a very stressful situation came up... I lasted for 4-5 weeks until a poker party and just one wouldn't hurt... You know that routine!

Again welcome just let us know what your doing, your feelings, check the FAQ's, and oh yes, we have the occasional party to celebrate those reaching milestone's in their quit.

HaveaGreatDay, LC

LC smober for 11 Years 11 Months 3 Weeks 5 Days 21 Hours 29 Minutes 10 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 52582. Money saved: $5,915.56.

Linda smober for 3 Weeks 4 Days 22 Hours 45 Minutes 32 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 518. Money saved: $103.79.

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27581 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:23 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the encouragement. I've tried quitting cold turkey, patches, you name it. I just haven't been able to quit. When I go to mom and dad's for the weekend I can quit for the weekend but as soon as I'm on my way back home I start lighting up.

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27582 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:25 PM
Caseium,
Thanks for the input. I've tried to set quit dates and nothing ever works. I'm just going to have to put it in my mind that I am going to quit.
Vicki

Author: OKlady8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27583 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:51 PM
Cat, it's so good to see your name on a post! I love it. You're busy I know, but we feel honored when you spend a little time with us.

Helen

Two years, six months, one week, six days, 18 hours, 50 minutes and 51 seconds. 37151 cigarettes not smoked, saving $6,594.67. Life saved: 18 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes.

Author: khalou Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27584 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 9:55 PM
Recommendations: 3
Brian,
Thanks for the encouragement. I've tried quitting cold turkey, patches, you name it. I just haven't been able to quit. When I go to mom and dad's for the weekend I can quit for the weekend but as soon as I'm on my way back home I start lighting up.

That's because your incentive is based on external forces. Don't knock it, it proves that you can do it.

I don't know if you've read the FAQ, but you must record your reasons for smoking and also your reasons for Quitting. Check 'em out.

The problem is that you don't have to quit. No matter what the circumstances, there is no one keeping you from smoking. The only way you can Quit, and you can, by the way, is if you stop yourself. It's really hard to do, but it can be done. That's the first thing you gotta get past- It CAN be done.

FOREVER??

Yes.

People from all ages and pasts have come through here and been successful. You are unique, but not that unique. "If I can do it, anyone can" is a common quote here. It's an addiction, plain and simple. One's mind has to change, but the good news is that that's not that hard to do. Education and a bit of mental razzle-dazzle (which is gone into in detail in the FAQ) is paramount. Also, there has been mention of some new 'wonder' drugs- Zyban and Wellbutrin- both the same thing, one is usually covered under insurance, the other is not usually. These drugs take a lot of the 'shakes' away and allow you to keep on course. This board is another wonderful means of staying on course.

The thing is- the uncertainty of Quitting must be overcome, and that is done quite nicely here on this board. There are persons who have Quit for a week and persons who have Quit for 20 years and persons who have Quit for three months and persons who have slipped and are coming back and persons who have slipped and are on the sixth month of their second Quit.

In other words, persons who know what you're going through and can absolutely help.

This may be the only forum in your life where you'll actually be happy to find that you're not all that 'unique'. :o)

You can do it.

Maybe you never could before, but you never came here before either!

k

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27585 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 10:36 PM
Brian, you are so WISE! Everything you said is right on the money.

On the Zyban/Wellbutrin, I'd like to add this. My insurance covered both. I started on Zyban, but my insurance company would not permit a refill. So my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin and I have refilled it once so far.

I think this is because, while they are identical, Zyban is given for smoking cessation only, while Wellbutrin is prescribed for a number of things (like depression).

Congrats to all who are quitting now. I admire you for going cold turkey. Like Helen, I wanted every aid I could lay my hands on. I used (from the first day of my quit) the pills, the patch, lots of chewing gum (not the nicotine kind), and a fake cigarette to puff on or hold between my fingers.

At the end of a month, I no longer needed the patch or the fake cigarette, but I still take the Wellbutrin and have chewed so much gum, I think my jaw is strong enough to pull a bus with my teeth. My teeth, however may not be that strong.

Stay with us and we will help. Collectively we've gone or are going through everything you will come up against.

Hugs.

Verna
Five months, two days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 6 seconds. 3103 cigarettes not smoked, saving $310.47. Life saved: 1 week, 3 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes.

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27586 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 11:29 PM
Thanks. I know that I can quit because I've quit before. It seems like it's harder to quit every time I start back. I can do all right when I'm at home but when I get to work it's like I've got to have one. I don't know whether it's the stress or what. Hopefully this time I can quit and quit for good. I think that my quit date should be March 7. Why on that date? Because I'm going to have dental surgery and I'll be out most of the day anyway so if I'm asleep that will be one day out of the way. Then the next day will be another. I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27587 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 2/28/2002 11:33 PM
I started off smoking outside only but then it got cold. Then I said what the heck I'll just smoke just this once inside. Then it snowballed from there. I admit I am definitely hooked and addicted. With the help of this board though it seems like I can quit. Thanks everyone.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27593 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:04 AM
Some day you'll 'think' smoking is pretty stupid.
And you'll actually believe it.
------------

Cat,

LOL

Are you there you? :Þ

I've missed you. I'm so glad to see you posting more regularly.

Rebecca

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27594 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:11 AM
When I go to mom and dad's for the weekend I can quit for the weekend but as soon as I'm on my way back home I start lighting up.
-------------

Practice makes perfect.

Could you go to your parents for a weekend and just vow that you will not buy any smokes for the ride home? (Don't bring your own, of course.) Before you leave, clean your home and car of all smokes and butts. When you get home, you'll be too tired to go and buy more. When you wake up in the morning, postpone, postpone, postpone. The longer you postpone, the sooner you'll realize the worst is over and you will have become a Quitter.

Rebecca

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27595 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:51 AM
I started off smoking outside only but then it got cold. Then I said what the heck I'll just smoke just this once inside. Then it snowballed from there. I admit I am definitely hooked and addicted.
------------

That is definitely the addiction. I always swore I'd never smoke in the house after I had kids. And I didn't until Corey was 6 months old. (I actually quit those first 6 months after trying to quit for the entire 9 months I was pregnant.) With Drew I didn't smoke in the house for closer to 9 months and he had awful respiratory problems anyway... He was on a nebulizer and he also had an inhaler. As soon as he began to outgrow those problems out came the ashtrays. I feel just awful.

Think how awful this addiction is when it lets us justify us doing this to our kids. And not just us! Most of the parents on this board smoked without regard to what it might do to our kids. Many of us (ME!) had parents who smoked when we were little, also without regard.

Addiction SUCKS! The sooner you are through with it, the better. We'll do what we can to help. your 3/7 plan sounds like an excellent one.

Rebecca

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27644 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:20 PM
That's one way to look at it. If I don't have them in the car when I leave how am I going to smoke. That's a good idea. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks.

Author: hueysmom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27645 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:22 PM
Thanks. I think that if I can make it 3/7 I'll be able to make it from then on. I've always heard that the hardest time in quitting comes in threes i.e. three hours, three days, three months, three years, etc. I'm hoping I can quit 3/7. I should say that I know I can do it. I've got to be positive.

Author: dporter7 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27646 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/1/2002 8:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
hueysmom

I can sense your fear. We all had to face it. I set a quit date and was so bummed out the day before. That's the day I found this board. They welcomed me with open arms. Their concern, encouragement and lack of condemnation is what got me thru the first day and the next few following. Family or friends I wasn't comfortable confiding in. I'm supposed to be the strong one. I could tell our friends here about how I was feeling and not worry about I was percieved by those close to me. I was allowed to not have to be so strong here. I had my fears and worrys but faced them hour by hour and min. by min. When I had all I could take I would come here and post. Just typing how I was feeling did as much good as the responses. You don't have to face this alone. We are all here waiting with outstretched arms. Ready to encourage you, cry with you, holler with you and support you. You CAN do this. Yes it will be hard, but you CAN do this.

Just give a holler,

Dennis

Two months, three weeks, six days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 8 seconds. 2697 cigarettes not smoked, saving $404.58. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27745 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/3/2002 10:30 PM
"I have been trying to quit smoking for almost two years now. "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A coupla thoughts ---- quitting is not about willpower. Breaking a "pleasure-bond" even a recognized self-destructive one is not done through willpower. Too many times folks look on quitting smoking as a measure of how "good" a person they are. "If I don't stop right now I'm a failure!". If I smoke one cig tomorrow I might as well go buy a carton cause I've failed. Don't fall into that trap. If you don't smoke tomorrow --- great, try to go for two! If you smoke one tomorrow - just try to not smoke one the next day.

Quitting or not quitting is not a measure of your or anyone's worth, or a measure of ability, or a measure of anything. At a certain stage, quitting is something you have to do ---- like getting up in the morning. You may pull the covers over your head for a while. You might throw the alarm clock against the wall. But the fact remains. You can do it. It is not easy ---- I still go through times when I want one of the little devils. But ---- I gotta say no. The pleasure of paying to burn tobacco and breath in the smoke is not worth the problems it causes when it is time to quit. And I came to the realization that the time to quit was six months ago --- give or take a month of saying to myself ---- "Ya gotta stop" and answering "I don't know. Let's think about this a while."

I feel better and the urge has eased a lot over the past three months in particular.

I never thought I'd get this far in my "quit".

Right now : Six months, four days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 5 seconds. 3770 cigarettes not smoked, saving $659.92. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes.

You can do it. Use whatever method works for you. Get all the support you need to stop. There is no wrong or right method ---- just try to not smoke today.

Good luck.

BTW: sorry for the preachiness.

it is Sunday but that ain't what comes around here.

particularly from an old reprobate as moi.

Author: hyakunen Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27750 of 57283
Subject: Re: thinking about quitting Date: 3/3/2002 11:36 PM
"quitting is not about willpower." and "quitting is something you have to do." and " saying to myself ---- "Ya gotta stop" and answering "I don't know."
Howie, I would believe that all of these things are true about you and your quit. I've read thousands of posts here from hundreds of quitters, and found there are never two exactly alike, so you may have generalized from your own experience.
My own quit (methods, reasons and difficulty) was nothing like yours, and it has lasted twenty years now. I think the one universal among the people who post here is the desire for support from fellow quitters, and that very support is the main reason for our success. May we continue forever..... Hyakunen (moving back to the peanut gallery now)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement