UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17919  
Subject: Re: smoker risk Date: 2/17/2013 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thinking back on it, a number of my insureds have killed people in auto accidents. Alcohol and/or drugs were often involved.

I almost killed 2 13 year old girls. Alcohol and drugs weren't involved. I was driving home from work one Saturday afternoon to the right and slightly behind a panel van driving in the the lane to my left on a 4-lane highway. The van driver suddenly applied his brakes. As my car drove forward at around 38 MPH in the 45 MPH speed zone, I saw the 2 girls heads as they emerged from just a couple of feet in front of the van. I slammed on my brakes, the front of the car squatted down and I carried the girls on the front of my car for maybe about 60 or so feet.

When the car came to a stop, the girls fell to the pavement with cracked skulls, concussions, bleeding from their mouths and noses, internal bleeding and one had a cracked pelvis. I ran to a payphone where a bunch of girls were talking on the phone. (I later learned they had yelled to the 2 girls I hit, "Come on! Come on!" I grabbed the phone from the hand of the girl holding it, hung it up and called 911, almost unable to speak coherently. I stood nearby as paramedics worked on the girls, strapping them to wooden boards. The father of one of the girls arrived and, after looking at his daughter, screamed "Who hit them!" I replied, "I did." He asked me in a stressful voice, "Wasn't there anything you could do?" I replied, "No." The local police department's shift commander told me that 10 witnesses had stopped and stayed and all had stated that there was nothing I could have done. He told me he didn't think any charges would be pressed, but he had to cross that with the district attorney first. He later called me at home and told me that he had gone to the hospital that the girls were taken to, told me of their serious injuries, but it looked like they would live. I still didn't sleep very well for the next several nights.

The parents filed a law suit against me, and their daughters had 2 years after they turned 18 to also do so. My auto insurer settled the parents' claims and the girls didn't file after they reached legal capacity to sue, at the age of 18.

I sincerely hope this never happens to you (or me, again).

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement