UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 743997  
Subject: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/10/2013 10:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not looking for a guarantee I won't get the flu.

But I've heard that people actually got sick FROM the flu shot.

Any observations from anyone here? Is it urban legend that people get sick from flu shot, or is it a very tiny minority?

Thanks!

jediG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665698 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/10/2013 10:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It isn't a live vaccine. You don't get flu from the flu shot.

Other than a little soreness at the ejection site, I have never had any side effects from a flu shot.

I have taken it for quite a few years. The only recent year I had the flu was the year the H1N1 vaccine was a separate vaccination. I had the regular vaccine. My husband was in a high risk group and received the H1N1 vaccine early. I suspect I had the H1N1 flu, because I was very sick and he was fine.

Feeling a little off after the flu vaccination isn't uncommon.

Given the number of flu shots given, some people are already exposed to the flu or a cold when they received the vaccination. There are going to a percentage that will come down with the flu or cold shortly after receiving a flu shot.

It was the adult TDAP that hit me hard.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665699 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/10/2013 11:04 PM
"Not looking for a guarantee I won't get the flu.But I've heard that people actually got sick FROM the flu shot.Any observations from anyone here? Is it urban legend that people get sick from flu shot, or is it a very tiny minority?" Thanks! jediG

I get one every year. This year I got one at my doctor's when I got my physical. Cost me $25.00. Usually a doctor at our church gives us shots for free but this year - no free shot. :(

<grin> I've never gotten sick from the shot and I'm under the illusion it helps protect me from some flu viruses? Maybe it's the placebo effect? I don't know. I'm not afraid of needles and it's no big deal.

cheap insurance.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665703 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/10/2013 11:11 PM
Sanjay Gupta talked about this on CNN tonight. He said you can't sick from the flu shot, but that it takes about two weeks for the vaccine to fully immunize. Therefore, you could catch the flu from someone before the vaccine has been able to become effective in your body.

The flu vaccine is "dead;" therefore, you can't get the flu from the shot itself.

I got a flu shot today; I hope I got it in time before the flu becomes epidemic in SoCal.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665706 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/10/2013 11:25 PM
But I've heard that people actually got sick FROM the flu shot.

Any observations from anyone here?

11 years ago, doc said get a flu shot. I did not have the flu for about 10 years before that. I got the flu right after taking the shot. I haven't had another flu shot and haven't had the flu since. YMMV

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665749 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 8:33 AM
been getting flu shots for 20 years. No problems.

this year, I thank you tax payers for my FREE, repeat, free as in Obama-free....... shot covered under Medicare. No cost to me (joke joke joke0.....

Never had a problem and never knew of anyone who did have a problem.

I suspect those who 'got the flu' were already coming down with it when they got the notion to get a flu shot.

I got mine back in Nov I think.....

It's an urban legend you 'get the flu'.

I'm surprised CC..... that you'd wait till now to get it!.....

t.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665755 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 9:05 AM
Recommendations: 4
I got the flu right after taking the shot. I haven't had another flu shot and haven't had the flu since.

Coincidence. Or what you had wasn't the flu but some other viral disease. I had the flu once about 20 years ago, it kicked my a$$, all I did for a couple days was sleep, drink fluids, take ibuprofen, and maybe pee.

Getting the flu shot today doesn't mean you can't get the flu tomorrow. It takes time for the body to develop antibodies for protection. Then throw in the fact that some people's immune system responds faster than others.

So you can get the flu shot, develop antibodies, get exposed to the flu, and still have a very minor case of the flu as opposed to a major case.

I guess an analogy would be like starting a fire (your immune response). Having taken the flu shot, you have embers in the fireplace, you just need to add a little kindling, stoke it, add some wood, you have the fire (fighting the flu virus) very quickly. NOT taking the flu shot, you have to go out, chop wood, gather kindling, light a spark, stoke the fire, then add wood. And it may be too late to survive.

JLC

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665756 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 9:13 AM
I generally get flu shots now, especially since I can get them for free through work. Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to do so when they were in my building giving them last year (by the time I realized it was that day it was too late!) so now it'll cost me $20 to get one. Given that I work in an urban environment and specifically at a university that has people fromm all over the world mingling together in close quarters the flu spreads like wildfire here.

I've never had any complications from getting the flu shots.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665762 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 9:25 AM
You are correct, the "flu" I got right after taking the shot could have been a coincidence. Taking a flu shot certainly might not have been the cause of my getting whatever I had - flu or otherwise. and taking a flu shot only presents a 60% better chance that you won't catch it. I could just be lucky. But I still will not take a flu shot this year. I take zinc daily for strengthening my immume system and double the dose upon any scratchy throat or other signs of possible illness, and I almost drink hand sanitizer. I make Monk's OCD look like a normal practice. It's got me through many years without getting a cold or flu or other illnesses and if I do feel like I have a cold, it only lasts a day or two.

If I catch the flu this year, I will let you know. Apparently, it's nearly an epidemic. Think I'll double the zinc dose right now.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665784 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 10:23 AM
<v>I'm surprised CC..... that you'd wait till now to get it!

I know...but this version seems particularly virulent. I think I've had the flu only once in my life but I thought I was going to die.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665795 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 10:46 AM
"I know...but this version seems particularly virulent. I think I've had the flu only once in my life but I thought I was going to die"

Every year hundreds die from flu related problems......

you never know when someone will pass it on to you.

IT's cheap insurance....and for someone who seems to value insurance as much as you do, for $20 or $25 it would seem to be a 'good investment' as you might put it.

Once you hit 65, you get to have the taxpayers pay for it...free!....

But that $20 or $25 never slowed me down. had one every year for the past 20 years or so. Would go with my mom....she got hers..and every 10 years a pneumonia shot....also 'free' under Medicare...

Why is it that people wait until it's an 'epidemic'? If they had gotten the flu shots months ago, likely there would not be an epidemic! most of those folks would have been protected, not caught flu, and not be passing it on to others.

t.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665820 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 11:32 AM
IT's cheap insurance....and for someone who seems to value insurance as much as you do, for $20 or $25 it would seem to be a 'good investment' as you might put it.

I have a very sturdy immune system. ;-)

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665825 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Also, vkg thanks for chiming in. It's great when one can put politics aside and have a normal conversation in this world of online political nuttery.

jedig

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665831 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 12:02 PM
CDC: Flu vaccine 62% effective

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57563507/cdc-flu-vaccine...

Not very good "insurance," eh, tele?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665833 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 12:04 PM
Recommendations: 3
CC"I have a very sturdy immune system. ;-) "

And you might have a sturdy house, but I'd bet you have house insurance....

and you might have a sturdy car..but I'd bet you have car insurance..

and you might have a 'sturdy immune system' but I'd bet you have insurance that covers all sorts of diseases you might get from cancer to typhoid fever to jungle rot to bot flies....

Give us a break......you and ten million others like you are the reason we have this epidemic going around. If everyone got a flu shot, we'd have no flue epidemics 99.9i9% of the time.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665834 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 12:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
from the link: (you posted)

"The CDC also released a new study Jan. 11 in its journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, that found this year's flu vaccine is about 62 percent effective. That's based on test results collected from 1,155 children and adults who reported to doctors with respiratory infections.

The agency still says this year's vaccine matches well to the strains that are out there, and recommends everyone over the age of 6 months gets a flu shot."

Like I said...if EVERYONE had a flu shot, the number of flu cases would plummet like the California real estate market did after the bubble burst....

It's the spread of the disease that starts the epidemic....

I always wonder about the dingbats would can't be bothered, get the flu, still come in to work and contaminate everyone else because they don't want to take a sick day..... then go to the gym and contaminate another 100 people..... of which some wind up in the emergency room or actually die.

For 25 bucks, 62% coverage is pretty good I'd say. you pay a lot more for car insurance and house insurance.....I've been in my house for 22 years and never filed a claim..... let's see..that's over 22,000 bucks for nothing....right? (your logic)....

Oh well...don't blame me if you catch a virulent strain of flu, wind up with 106 degree fever, sit 8 hours in the emergency room waiting area, come near dying with respiratory problems, all because you and your associates and friends 'couldn't be bothered' to get a flu shot.

t

t.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665851 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 1:49 PM
For 25 bucks, 62% coverage is pretty good I'd say. you pay a lot more for car insurance and house insurance.....I've been in my house for 22 years and never filed a claim..... let's see..that's over 22,000 bucks for nothing....right? (your logic)....

Thirty plus years of homeowner and landlord insurance. One fire that did 90% damage to the structure. I will continue to pay without complaint.

Now if we could get useful earthquake insurance. Paying insurance premiums for insurance that will actually coverage damage is practical. Paying for insurance that if they have enough of a fund, and you might have to pay additional premiums, and doesn't cover contents or the first $65K in damages is not so useful.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665859 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:06 PM
Oh well...don't blame me if you catch a virulent strain of flu, wind up with 106 degree fever, sit 8 hours in the emergency room waiting area, come near dying with respiratory problems, all because you and your associates and friends 'couldn't be bothered' to get a flu shot.

Sanjay Gupta said they don't even know if the vaccine being offered is effective against the flu now going around. They never know; they're just guessing.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665867 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:14 PM
cc:"Sanjay Gupta said they don't even know if the vaccine being offered is effective against the flu now going around. They never know; they're just guessing. "

Wow..you keep coming up with excuses not to get your flu shot.

Like I said..when you come down with flu, wracking fever of 106, spasms, chills, total disability for 3 days, vomiting.... don't come running to us for sympathy.

Most of the strains going round are exactly what is in the vaccine.

t

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665870 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:16 PM
Now if we could get useful earthquake insurance.

Earthquake coverage in CA costs about $150 per year and carries a 10% deductible. In other words, if my house is worth $500,000 and is completely destroyed in an earthquake, I get a new house built for $50,000. Not bad, I'd say.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665874 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:30 PM
I'm just telling you what a physician said. Are you an immunologist? <g>

See videos in upper left and upper right quadrant of section titled "Flu Spreads Across U.S."

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2013/01/08/ac-gupt...

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665877 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:36 PM
Now if we could get useful earthquake insurance.

Earthquake coverage in CA costs about $150 per year and carries a 10% deductible. In other words, if my house is worth $500,000 and is completely destroyed in an earthquake, I get a new house built for $50,000. Not bad, I'd say.

I don't know where the $150 per year premium is offered, but it is not in this area.

For a small single story house, the premium is over $1,100 a year. The deductible is 15%. Earthquake insurance does not cover contents or loss of use.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665878 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:37 PM
Also, payments are limited to the pool created by the premiums.

If the pool is insufficient, additional premiums can be assessed be any payment is made with payments still limited by the pool value.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665880 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:43 PM
Erase...erase...erase. I was thinking of flood insurance. Earthquake insurance is in fact far more expensive.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665882 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 2:55 PM
" Earthquake insurance is in fact far more expensive. "

Just the 'cost of living' if you live in CA....

best thing to do is rent. Then if your place is destroyed, move on to another apartment or home. No hassles......

We've got some magnitude 2 or 3 quakes in TX......but nothing to worry about.....

Now, MO along the New Madrid fault might make you want to have earthquake and flood insurance!.....

Here. in TX.....we just need good homeowners insurance to cover the hail storms and tornadoes...

t.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665884 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 3:02 PM
Erase...erase...erase. I was thinking of flood insurance. Earthquake insurance is in fact far more expensive.

Maybe true for flood insurance. We are not in a flood zone, and have never been offered flood insurance.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665885 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 3:05 PM
Think I'll double the zinc dose right now.

Too much zinc lowers immunity. It is necessary to take the correct amount.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665888 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 3:46 PM
best thing to do is rent. Then if your place is destroyed, move on to another apartment or home. No hassles...

Why can't I own and if my house is destroyed, move on to another dwelling to rent? No hassles...

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665895 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:15 PM
I make Monk's OCD look like a normal practice.

I remember reading an article a few years ago talking about asthma in kids and "over cleanliness". You had some overprotective/paranoid parents that cleaned/wiped/sterilized everything before their kids could touch/play/be near anything. They had a higher rate of asthma and, IIRC, childhood illness in general.

The theory was that their immune system never got challenged and so never learned to respond.

JLC, who fortunately has a naturally hardy immune system

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665897 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:18 PM

I have a very sturdy immune system. ;-)

Read the book "The Great Influenza", talks about the pandemic of 1918. Those most likely to die were those that should've had the best immune systems, i.e., the young and healthy. Ironically the very old and the very young were more likely to survive because their bodies couldn't deliver the massive response that the young did. The massive response lead to respiratory distress/failure because of all the inflammation.

JLC

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665898 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:21 PM
I just clean my hands with hand sanitizer when I touch something or someone - handshake, etc. I'm not overly clean. I'm quite smelly and funky sometimes.

The only thing I caught from my dad is his love for Notre Dame football.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665899 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
Sanjay Gupta said they don't even know if the vaccine being offered is effective against the flu now going around. They never know; they're just guessing.

Nothing is 100% effective. However, get enough flu shots over the years and you're more than likely to have been exposed to something that might be missed in this year's flu shot. Or something close enough that a new strain might be similar enough to so that it doesn't totally kick your a$$.

I bet you wear your seatbelt but it doesn't save you all the time. It just stacks the favor in your odds.

JLC

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665900 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:24 PM
The only thing I caught from my dad is his love for Notre Dame football.

My condolences. Too bad you couldn't have fallen in love with an SEC team.

JLC, GEAUX TIGERS.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665902 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:26 PM
I feel Notre Shame. But no one can take away an undefeated regular season or their pre-bowl number one ranking. They got spanked to put it mildly. But if we can keep Kelly, I think things are on the right trajectory.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665908 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:36 PM

Predictions need to be made early, so the vaccine can be manufactured. Once flu season starts, it is obvious whether the predictions were good or bad. This year, the match is good and flu is severe.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665909 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:37 PM
best thing to do is rent. Then if your place is destroyed, move on to another apartment or home. No hassles......

Extremely expensive earthquake insurance. 4 years of rent would cover what I paid for the house and property.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665914 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/11/2013 4:51 PM
Read the book "The Great Influenza", talks about the pandemic of 1918. Those most likely to die were those that should've had the best immune systems, i.e., the young and healthy. Ironically the very old and the very young were more likely to survive because their bodies couldn't deliver the massive response that the young did. The massive response lead to respiratory distress/failure because of all the inflammation.

True 'nuff, JLC. When the Bird Flu was all in the news, that freaked me out. I bought a carton of face masks and surgical gloves that are now in the garage. The surgical gloves have probably deteriorated by now.

Author: PK227 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666483 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 1:32 AM
Thanks for starting that discussion, Jedi. I'm struggling with the same decision. Have not had a flu shot since the 70's and have never gotten the flu.....however.....we're going on a cruise in Feb. Airports, airplanes and 2100 people trapped on a ship. I'm giving it serious thought.....but just KNOW I'm going to get sick after the shot :-) Will report back. Please do the same.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666552 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 2:00 PM
we're going on a cruise in Feb. Airports, airplanes and 2100 people trapped on a ship. I'm giving it serious thought

Then you need to make up your mind now. It takes time for the vaccination to be effective. It is unlikely but if you do have a reaction to it, you need time to recover.

There is no current vaccination for Norovirus. A bad combination is to get the seasonal flu and Norovirus. I don't even want to think about it.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666555 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 2:26 PM
"There is no current vaccination for Norovirus. A bad combination is to get the seasonal flu and Norovirus. I don't even want to think about it."

wash hands...wash hands more....wash hands even more..avoid handrails..... avoid hot tubs......

have fun but definitely get a flu shot NOW..takes several weeks to build up immunity.

t.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666565 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 3:16 PM
...avoid hot tubs...

Nothing but people soup.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666568 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 3:19 PM
...avoid hot tubs...

Nothing but people soup.

OK, this being RECF, you have to clarify

Does that mean avoid them, or that if you go, bring a spoon?

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666573 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 3:22 PM
Wild horses couldn't drag me into a pot of people soup. ;-)

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666579 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 3:41 PM
I got the flu shot back in September, just in time for the start of flu season here in the mountains of NC. Due to my heart issues, my docs want me to get the flu shot twice a year, instead of once, since the shot apparently loses some of its stuff after a few months, so I got another one this past Friday. On Medicare now, I didn't have to pay a penny, so thanks to all you hard-working folks out there. Of course, it's not like I haven't paid through the nose into the system all my working life.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666580 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 3:58 PM
>> On Medicare now, I didn't have to pay a penny, so thanks to all you hard-working folks out there. Of course, it's not like I haven't paid through the nose into the system all my working life. <<

Yeah, but at least those already receiving it are only paying through the nose. Us younger folks are paying through every orifice, and may not even see it (or get something watered down and/or at a later age).

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666583 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 4:04 PM
Yeah, but at least those already receiving it are only paying through the nose. Us younger folks are paying through every orifice, and may not even see it (or get something watered down and/or at a later age).

Nonsense. You'll get the Liverpool Care Pathway. What more could you ask for?

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666590 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 4:55 PM
wash hands...wash hands more....wash hands even more..avoid handrails..... avoid hot tubs......

Cruise ships have hand sanitizer dispensers in food locations and as you board.

Using hand sanitizer in addition to frequently washing your hands is good idea.

The last cruise we took, there was always staff at the dining area entrances with spray bottles of hand sanitizer. They were persistent that everyone use hand sanitizer before entering.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666624 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 6:25 PM
I've been getting the flu shot for yrs. and after I got pneumonia, I got the pneumonia shot after it had cleared out of my system. I have respiratory problems anyway with allergies and a touch of asthma so I'm not taking any chances.

I don't like sanitizers, they dry out my hands and cuticles and I just read where they really don't clear off germs....the best thing, as tele said is soap and water.

At the gym, touching wgts and equipment, particularly treadmills are all germ factories and people are supposed to wipe them down with sanitizing cloths.....some do, some are lazy. What I've learned to do is to never, ever, touch my eyes, nose or mouth while using equipment, unless I use a towel or back of my hand...something that has not come into contact with any surface that could have germs on it. I wash up before and after working out with wgts and any other thing I do there and I do clean the treadmill when I'm done. Some folks clean their cardio equipment before and after.

Also, it's common after 12 step meetings to hold hands and say the Serenity prayer or some other prayer, and I wash hands after that and some folks just put their hands on the other person's shoulder, particularly when someone says they have been sick or something. If I'm around someone coughing, I move away. I don't want to be sick either!

Get the shot, it's not going to hurt.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666629 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 7:02 PM
>>...avoid hot tubs...<<

Nothing but people soup. - CC

----------------------------------

Kramer: I just took a bath, Jerry. A bath?

Jerry: No good?

Kramer: It's disgusting. I'm sitting there in a tepid pool of my own filth. All kinds of microscopic parasites and organisms having sex all around me.

Jerry: Well, you used to sit in that hot tub?

Kramer: Jerry, that was superheated water, nothing could live in that.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666638 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/15/2013 8:32 PM
wash hands...wash hands more....wash hands even more.
---------------

I just went to the dermatologist today. My skin cracks easlily, especially in winter weather. He said DON'T wash hands. Use gloves instead, even the throw away kind, even for, um, private functions. It really is a trade off.

arrete - already been so sick I doubt I'll get more. Still struggling, 2 weeks later.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666816 of 743997
Subject: Re: Thinking of Flu Shot Date: 1/16/2013 1:16 PM
I just read where they really don't clear off germs....the best thing, as tele said is soap and water.

To be effecitive, sanitizers need to contain at least 60% alcohol. They work when they have sufficient alcohol content and sufficient quantity is used.

They are not a replacement for soap and water, but are useful as an addition to soap and water.

On a cruise ship, using hand sanitizer as you enter the dining area is a good idea. Even if you have just washed your hands.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement