UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/6/2012 8:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hey Guys,

FWIW ... I am currently running the 2010 Deluxe version of Quicken. I usually upgrade Quicken every 3 years. But I always read the Quicken reviews before updating my PC. Well, it looks like Q2013 has major problems. Below is just one of the 13 negative reviews just on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Intuit-419360-Quicken-Deluxe-Download/...

Needless to say, I am holding off (maybe permanently) upgrading to Q-13.

Rich
Arizona

1.0 out of 5 stars Quicken 2013 ruined my day, October 6, 2012
By
Warren R. Moe (Atlantic Highlands, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quicken Deluxe 2013 [Download] (Software Download)

Last evening I downloaded Quicken 2013. The advertised mobile/iPad app is exactly what I've been hoping Quicken would add.
I have been using Quicken 2011.
Product installation went OK and it seemed to import all of my Quicken 2011 data OK.
When I went to update my accounts, Quicken 2013 first wanted me to register the product.
So far so good.
After entering name & address, etc., it told me that I had successfully registered and gave me a button marked "Finish"', which I clicked.
THE PROGRAM FROZE COMPLETELY.
I had to use Task Manager to get out of it.

I contacted Intuit support by email and sent screen shots of what I was experiencing.
This morning I followed up with their Chat support line.
I got responses from both channels saying that I should uninstall then reinstall in C:\Quicken rather than the default directory.
I was assured all would be fine.
I tried that. Twice. All was not fine.
Every time I got to the end of product registration, Quicken 2013 froze completely.

Adding to my frustration is that the 2013 installation process uninstalled Quicken 2011. I don't have the download to reinstall Quicken 2011 and if it's on Intuit's website,I couldn't find it.

So now I have a request in to Intuit that they 1) tell me how to reinstall 2011 and 2) refund my purchase of 2013.
If they can do that, I'll be back where I was, having lost only a day.
If they can't do that, I will spit on their corporate grave.

Do not upgrade to Quicken 2013 unless and until you see through review in this forum or similar that they have released a useable product
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9994 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/7/2012 12:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hey Rich,

I just thought I'd offer a few of my own thoughts on this review and upgrading in general.

First it seems a little unclear to me what version of Q2013 the reviewer is dealing with. They state they have been waiting for an iPad app for Quicken but they appear to be upgrading a Windows machine from the Q2011 version. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Does the iPad app require a newer version of Q to import files? Can you import files from older versions of Q into this new app? I don't know.

Personally I tend to purchase software on a disc, though I realize downloads are quickly becoming the norm. But here is the thing. If you download a program that you have paid for, either copy it to a disc or keep a copy on an external HDD. I prefer to burn the disc because I have a place for all my IMPORTANT system discs and it will not be a problem to find and I know it's not going to accidentally be overwritten which can happen if it's on a HDD. Actually I would opt to have it both places, just in case. I know places like Amazon are supposed to have these downloads available to people that purchase them but I'd rather maintain my own emergency plan then to depend on someone else to have what I need when disaster strikes.

I also have been on the 3 year upgrade cycle, choosing only to upgrade when Intuit breaks the download capability. But I never, ever upgrade when the new version first comes out. I have no desire to be the guinea pig and prefer to wait several months till a few revisions have been made if needed. Plus the price comes down considerably after the holidays/first of the calendar year buyers have made their purchases.

Traditionally I will wait till mid February and then look to buy the program on eBay. I then tend to wait another month or till I have completed my taxes before upgrading.

YMMV,
Kurt

Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9995 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/7/2012 2:29 PM
Recommendations: 4
Hey folks,

I've been a long-time Quicken user on a PC platform since 1998. I am still running Quicken Premier 2010, but just ordered the Premier 2013 vrsion from Amazon yesterday AM. Hopefully, I'll be able to report a better experience, as I have been a lucky user for about 15 years with little issues with upgrades. Let's hope I'm not jinxing myself now...

I'll make sure I have 2 backups and will upgrade a second (less critical) PC first before I upgrade mine...

I'll report on my experience once I complete the upgrade from Quicken Premier 2010 to Quicken Premier 2013 running on Win 7.

Cheers!
'38Packard

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9996 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/7/2012 5:04 PM
Recommendations: 0
I'll report on my experience once I complete the upgrade from Quicken Premier 2010 to Quicken Premier 2013 running on Win 7.

Cheers!
'38Packard

That's MY situation exactly and I also run Kaspersky virus protection. Live long and prosper! Pray for us all!

Hockeypop

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9997 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/7/2012 8:20 PM
Hey Kurt,

Your plan is sound and well thought out buddy. I too always select the physical disc instead of a d/l for the same reasons you do.

The reviews I linked to were for the Deluxe version of Quicken, but I also read similar negative reviews for the Premier and/or Pro versions of Quicken.

IMHO I think the pending release of WIN8 is forcing 3rd party s/w companies like Quicken and others to try and integrate the WIN OS with the IOS for smart-phones, IPads etc. into their application products. ... and I think that will be a problem .... just my 2cents.

I will be looking forward to hearing from 38Packard and hockeypop et al. to see how their upgrade installations worked out?

Take Care,

Rich
Arizona

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10007 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/12/2012 2:35 AM
From hockeypop's latest post 10006 on this board.

10/11/2012: Important Manufacturer Update
Some customers experienced syncing issues with the initial Quicken 2013 release. We apologize for the issues experienced and are happy to say that with the recent Quicken update, customers are now reporting a great experience. Intuit is tracking down a very small number of unique issues and will provide more information as soon as an update is available. For details on these isolated issues, please visit Quicken support.

Rich
Arizona

Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10008 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/12/2012 8:05 PM
I just found another hidden feature in Quicken 2013. When I processed the last payment for a loan (due on 10/15) QP2013 automatically closed the account and would not let me see or edit any of the transactions in that account again. This was crazy! The account was not totally paid off, but becuase I processed what QP2013 thought was the last payment I could not get to the transaction register. I even tried running a report for the account and editing the transaction from the report, but no-go - all I got was a screen that said that the loan was already paid off. Be careful on this - when you process the last payment, you seem to be toast.

I ended up dowloading the transactions into Excel (QP2013 would let me do that), re-creating a new account, entering all new transactions, creating a new scheduled transaction, and processing all of the back dated transactions into the new account. This took me about 1/2 hour.

Be careful out there!
'38Packard

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10009 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/13/2012 8:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
Seems like a crazy feature many would not want. Wonder if there might be a preferences setting somewhere to disable it?

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10010 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/13/2012 9:56 AM
Seems like a crazy feature many would not want. Wonder if there might be a preferences setting somewhere to disable it?

I agree. This sounds more like a bug than a feature. Obviously you might still need to access this register or include this account in reports come tax time...
But I certainly wouldn't appreciate this automatic house keeping of accounts.

In Q 2012 Premier:

Tools> Account List> Select all accounts tab on left if you don't see the account you wish to work with> Click Edit button next to account> Select Display Options tab> Make your selections in the Hide or Show Accounts section> Click OK.

Kurt

Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10011 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/13/2012 10:07 AM
Hi Folks,

I called it a "feature" using my sarcasm mode. I definitely think it is a bug. The account did not disappear from the account bar or account list, when the account was selected, all you could see was a screen that said the account was paid - the transaction screen would not display at all.

I found another feature this morning as well (and I am now running Rel 4 - the latest and greatest). As usual when downloading, our Cash management account lists the downloaded transactions. I accepted all of the transactions - but now still have a message that there is one more transaction to accept, but the transaction does not appear for me to accept. Wierd...

Gotta love upgrades. Maybe I should have chosen QP2012 instead....

'38Packard

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10012 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/13/2012 10:49 AM
Recommendations: 2
I called it a "feature" using my sarcasm mode. I definitely think it is a bug. The account did not disappear from the account bar or account list, when the account was selected, all you could see was a screen that said the account was paid - the transaction screen would not display at all.

Seriously though, I know you are a seasoned Quicken user and kinda figured you knew how to hide/show accounts... ;-)

Gotta love upgrades. Maybe I should have chosen QP2012 instead....

But I appreciate all you guys that trek fearlessly ahead with your financial records using what sometimes seems like "beta versions" of software. I have no desire to do this and happily upgrade every three years, but closer to when the sunset policy comes into effect, say the February-March time frame. All these little problems are merely a distant memory by then and have already been addressed.

Kurt
running Q 2012 Premier R7

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10013 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 10/14/2012 8:46 AM
This may sound obvious but have you notified Intuit about your experience and dissatisfaction? Research shows most customers will tell all their friends about a bad experience with a business but never tell the business itself. They just stop shopping there. Intuit can't fix it if they don't know about it.

On the other side, people rarely tell their friends about a good experience with a business.

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10032 of 10363
Subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading to Q-2013 ... DON'T ! Date: 1/4/2013 8:28 AM
Took a deep breath, backed up everything, and upgraded to Q13 Premier yesterday evening. I actually picked an evening where I could be up all night if need be.

So far, nothing to worry about. One thing didn't move across on my home page (reoccuring bill pay reminders), but that was fixed easily. All-in-all it took about 15 minutes (without the disaster preparation). We'll see what the apps are all about and the colors kinda suck.

MUCH easier than my experience in January 2010.

Thanks to those "early adopters", because your horrible experiences probably fixed most of the bugs.

Bob
RYR Home Fool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement