Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sheilaoliver Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fellow tax paying fool:

I am just thinking about selling strategies I might take before year's end.(JUST THINKING)

Below are my candidates. I'm inclined to think these barkers will not recover in my life time.

Vitesse
Compaq
Banc One
oracle

Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Sheila O
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53794 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 1:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sheila,

I don't think anyone on this board will give you advice on whether to sell or not. That is a personal decision. The issue isn't whether "these barkers will recover ... in my lifetime", but, do you have a better place to invest the value that these "barkers" currently have.

Ira

Author: broadinthemarket Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53796 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 3:02 PM
I don't think anyone on this board will give you advice on whether to sell or not.

Darn,

I had hoped someone's crystal ball was working. I got mine out this morning and it had turned into an 8 ball.

broadinthemarket

Author: sheilaoliver Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53797 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 3:55 PM
Dear irasmilo and broadinthemarket:

Good answers to my query regarding tax selling. Please note I gave recs to both.

Regards,
Sheila O

P S do you have a better place to invest per irasmilo...
well, perhaps it is time I become more conservative; maybe preferreds, closed end funds, bonds :-(, CASH.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53798 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 3:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
Please share your thoughts.

Mine are pretty mundane. If your reasons for buying the stock remain valid, keep it. If not, sell it for what you can get for it and buy something you want--or nothing at all.

Phil Marti

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53803 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/3/2001 9:40 PM
well, perhaps it is time I become more conservative; maybe preferreds, closed end funds, bonds :-(, CASH.

At the right time, these are all "better places to invest." I didn't mean to infer that you needed to find better stocks.

Ira

Author: sheilaoliver Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53811 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/4/2001 8:23 AM
Ira:

Ahhhh! could this fool be beginning to see the light?

How bout these "better places to invest"

New roof
Crown on that bad tooth
Roth 2002

Regards,
Sheila O

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53813 of 121061
Subject: Re: thinking tax selling Date: 9/4/2001 9:48 AM
Sheila,

"New roof": Protecting the long-term value of the what is usually the single largest investment a person makes can be a good use for your funds. In addition to providing a home, a house can be viewed as a "high-margin" investment. Instead of buying a stock for 50% down (on margin), you buy a house for 10-25% down. If you live in an area where real estate values are climbing, you leverage your investment and can get a great return rate. Most people make the mistake of calculating the %increase on the full purchase price when comparing a house to other investments.

"Crown on that bad tooth": If you don't take care of your teeth, nothing else will matter. Tooth diseases can become very serious (fatal).

"Roth 2002": If you qualify, (income levels, etc.) another great place to put some funds. After all, it's one of the few places you can put money where it will grow tax-free (as opposed to tax-deferred) -- at least until Congress changes the rules.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement