UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dantam Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74795  
Subject: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife's parents are quite wealthy. How much should I depend on their inheritance for our retirement?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Shelt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4475 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<My wife's parents are quite wealthy. How much should I depend on their inheritance for our retirement?>>

None, because you never know what may happen.

Shelton

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4479 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 5:55 PM
Greetings, Dantam, and welcome.

<<My wife's parents are quite wealthy. How much should I depend on their inheritance for our retirement?>>

Anyone who depends on an inheritance to finance any part of their inheritance may be due for a rude surprise if that inheritance does not occur. Eliminate any thought of one from your mind and plan as if it doesn't exist. If you get something, that's just frosting on the cake. If you don't, you won't be behind the proverbial eight ball without it.

Regards….Pixy

Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4483 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 8:01 PM

There was/is an add on MSNBC about this.
Middle-aged son walking on beach with aged parents. Dad says, "Son, we want to talk to you about your inheritance."
Son starts to do an aw-shucks routine.
Dad says, "We're leaving it all to your sister."
Son says, "But but but, I was planning on that for my retirement."

Mon & Dad talk, "You always drove your dad crazy." "Still greedy."

None.
Ray

Author: nimrodnorts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4486 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 8:41 PM
Try zero! Learn to INVEST for yourself! If you end up inheariting mega-bucks down the line look upon it as a windfall but never, never rely on it as part of your portfolio. Also, go out and buy a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door". It's been on the best seller list for months and months and addresses just this issue.

Author: rjm1cc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4491 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/19/1998 10:03 PM
Are you a big gambler?

As a minimun set up a plan to meet your minimun standard of living.

You do not know what may happen to their money, long life, medical and nursing home expenses, law suit, divorce, charitable giving, etc.

What happens if you get divorce?

Author: gilvid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4658 of 74795
Subject: Re: thinking the unthinkable Date: 7/26/1998 8:33 AM
My wife's parents are quite wealthy. How much should I depend on their inheritance for our
retirement?

Along with "The Millionaire Next Door" you might want to read "Die Broke" by Pollan, and hope your inlaws don't read it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement