UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65784  
Subject: Re: iPhone4s Battery? Date: 10/8/2012 3:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This
A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.
is found at http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

This
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.
is found at http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

Apple has software in the iPhone that can "read" the number of cycles and the current charge state and the maximum charge. I suspect this is similar to the software found on MacBooks. For example the iStat widget on my MBP shows Battery Health 98%; Cycles 18; Charge 96% and the "State" as Charged.

I take those readings on my MacBook to mean, my battery is fully charged (it should be - I leave it plugged in), the battery has a full charge capacity equal to 96% of some spec/standard (which I assume to be the new battery) and 98% for "Health" means it is not in bad condition.

Coconut Battery Charge shows similar information including a current total battery capacity of 6339 mAh which happens to be 97.5% of the original battery capacity of 6500 mAh.

I have taken iPhones to a local Apple Store and had the genius plug a cord into it and read stuff on his screen. He saw among other things a cycle number and a charge value. In one case a genius pronounced the battery as sick and the number of cycles as low. At that point he asked if I was fully backed up. I said yes. He got a new iPhone and we swapped.

HTH

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement