Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 701  
Subject: Re: $60 a Barrel? Sell Big Oil! Date: 10/20/2004 3:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This article is an embarassment for those who understand math.

A recent study done by consulting firm Booz Allen predicts that within five years, 20% of the cars on America's roads could be hybrids; within a decade, the percentage could reach 80%.
Multiply those numbers -- 20% x 50% x 40% -- and worldwide gasoline consumption could slow by 4% over the next five years and by 16% over the next decade.

No way. (BTW I own a 2001 and 2004 Prius)
Total hybrid sales this year might be 100K...out of all new cars sold...maybe 10-20M per year (I'm not sure). Anyway, it is less than 1% of all new cars...but less than 0.1% of all cars using gas. Even if hybrid sales double every year for 5 years they would barely reach 20%...OF NEW CAR SALES (not total cars). The average car is on the road for about 15 years. If you do the math...which TMF apparently cannot...you'd see that less than 2% of all cars would be hybrids in 5 years. Even if they used zero gas, that would cause demand to drop by only 2%.

They also don't understand a few other facts about oil consumption. First, passenger cars only use 25% - 30% of oil. Industry, trucking, ships and airlines also use oil.

I ran a spreadsheet and assumed that hybrid sales doubled every year for 5 years, then increased 5% market share for the next 5 years and peaks at 50% and remained there. It would take about 12-14 years to get to 20% total installed base of all cars.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement