Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
This board has probably gone in circles about the helmets issue, but I'm more in favor of forcing them to be used than not. Maybe a part of that is that I'm not a casual cyclist that rides around at 5-7 mph. But I would never dream of getting on my bike without a helmet. I bought new cleats the other day, installed them on Saturday and ran my bike literally up and down the block two or three times to make sure I could clip in and out safely, and I wore my helmet to do it. One fall at 10 mph could put someone in a coma, and anything can cause that, vehicle or otherwise.

Never build any bicycle paths to encourage cycling.

This pisses me off to no end. Not just regarding the encouragement of it, but more just making it safer.

I was down in New Orleans visiting a friend earlier this year, and it was perfect workout weather there. He just lives north of the lake, and they have this trail literally right next to his house that runs about 30 or 40 miles. It's a paved path, has one bend in it, built for bikers, horse riders and runners. There are streets you have to cross, so you have to stop, but the stops aren't too bad. And more importantly, there's no vehicles allowed, so no danger of getting run off the road by some moron who doesn't respect your right to be on it as well.

I wish they'd make more of those, and make more cycling lanes.

- C -
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement