Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 204085  
Subject: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 9:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 64
When the iPad came out I wanted one (like a lot of people did,) but I figured I could live without it. After all, I have three computers on my desk, my current iMac and two older Macs on swinging pedestals which are mostly out of the way but accessible if I desire. So if I'm writing something and need to keep a thesaurus or dictionary or spreadsheet or whatever and don't want to constantly toggle back and forth I can do that. Who really needs yet another screen floating around somewhere?

But having more money than sense, I ended up buying the iPad2 a few weeks ago, and now understand that I was wrong. Very wrong. As has been written by others, it's not really "another computer", it's a whole new animal.

There have been a few things in the last couple decades which changed everything for me. On-line access (first with CompuServe, then AOL). I recall when broadband was first appearing, one of their evangelists (Milo Medin) talked about how great it was because it was "always on" and you didn't have to go to the computer and wait for the dial-up modem squawk and laborious sign-in and all of that. I discounted that because it didn't seem such a big deal - and yet that (and the speed, obviously) changed everything about how, and especially how often we approach the machine. It's become much more casual, for lack of a better word.

TiVo is another one. It's just a box that sits on the shelf, but it totally obliterates the relationship between the networks and the user, liberating us from the network schedulers and putting us in control. We pick and choose what we want when we want, and we don't sit through junk because "there's nothing on."

I find, after only a couple of weeks of ownership, that the iPad is doing the same thing for me in other spaces. I have it with me at the table at lunch (occasionally to Mrs. Goofy's chagrin), and I flip merrily from New York Times to Washington Post to Slate to my local paper, I use Zinio to find interesting articles from magazines I wouldn't even bother opening, even if I were at Borders and could do so. The BBC has an app, as does NPR and PBS, and I find myself checking into Google News with far greater frequency simply because I'm that much closer to a "one button" solution and not tethered to a desk.

I sit with it in my morning coffee chair and look at the market, or research a stock I've heard about, or just look through some pictures somebody sent me of their house or dog. The iPad truly untethers me from my office chair in a way that no laptop ever could. I take the laptop with me when I travel, of course, but not when I just sit in a different place in the house.

But wait! Mrs. Goofy, a true test case since she's what you'd call a late adopter, often grabs the screen first thing in the morning and peruses her Facebook posts, or (at the moment) checks out new car models (hers was destroyed in a hailstorm), or reads her e-mail at casual times rather than the "Now I will go sit at my computer" meme which existed previously. She looks up what's on Oprah that day, or catches a Daily Show clip she missed, or, as earlier this morning, oohed and aahed over a friend's daughter's prom dress.

I can see this changing habits, no, not just "changing habits" but changing the way media is consumed again. The destruction of "computer location" may be almost as significant as what TiVo did to "schedule", and what "always on" did for convenience. It's not just "easier" (but it is that) it's also "more convenient" and, thanks to the proliferation of media outlets vying for screen space and user time, it's more compelling, particularly with the gorgeous display.

I don't game a lot, but I have little doubt that it will impact those markets as well, and as for Skype and similar, how could it not? Given the amazing number of apps in every other dimension (weight loss, music identification, picture recognition, carpentry tools, online shopping, etc.) it's clear to me that this isn't just "a cool new toy." This is a box which changes everything. Again.

Steve Jobs described it as "magical." It is. The hype is justified. It's another leap, a paradigm changer of high order, which is why everybody in the "computer" business, suddenly, needs to be in this game. Competition will come, surely, it has to. Whether they will unlock the code for success remains to be seen.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173144 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 10:14 AM
Recommendations: 8
I was wrong. Very wrong. As has been written by others, it's not really "another computer", it's a whole new animal. It is. The hype is justified. The iPad truly untethers me from my office chair in a way that no laptop ever could. The destruction of "computer location" may be almost as significant as what TiVo did to "schedule", and what "always on" did for convenience. ...this isn't just "a cool new toy." This is a box which changes everything. Again.

Yes its a whole new mega-category that fits a natural need and the amazin' thing is that still nobody else is competitive with it. Apple is blowing them completely out of the water.

I don't think The Market and competitors have fully realized the extent of this blowout yet. But they will.

iPad will soon take over:
Most everything you used to do with a pad of paper
Everything that anybody used to do with a clipboard (doctors, teachers, lawyers, salespeople etc)
Most every casual reading category you used to do, including books, magazines, papers, internet
Most corporate interactive databases
Most email
Most Facebookery

What's left? Heavy duty word processing, spreadsheet work, web & multimedia development, etc. Maybe 5% of what Joe Average does on a daily basis.

iPad does the other 95%. And Apple has cornered the market.

Whew.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173145 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 11:03 AM
Recommendations: 9
No Floppy and no Flash. The iPad will never sell.

Author: corbetti Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173146 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 4
No Floppy and no Flash. The iPad will never sell.

it isn't selling - those sales numbers just reflect that they've stuffed the channels with iPad2s.

Ignore what you see people carrying out on the street - who're you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173147 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 12:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
So if I'm writing something and need to keep a thesaurus or dictionary or spreadsheet or whatever and don't want to constantly toggle back and forth I can do that. Who really needs yet another screen floating around somewhere?

---

The new macs run an exterior monitor swimmingly well. Showed this to my wife. Just take any old monitor you have laying around and use either a DVI to mini displayport or VGA to mini displayport adaptor and your desktop is extended. No special video card needed. Did this for my wife with an 8 year old Planar monitor and it worked perfectly via the DVI to mini displayport adaptor. Apple sells them for $29, or you can probably find a used Apple one on ebay for about $15, or a cheap Chinese one for less that may or may not work.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173148 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 1:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
When is the price going to become really cheap though? Like under $100 bucks? That's when I start to become interested, but $50 is even better. Does that make me a "late adopter?"

Author: pixiecakes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173149 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 11
When is the price going to become really cheap though? Like under $100 bucks? That's when I start to become interested, but $50 is even better.

Here ya go!
http://www.world-of-toys.com/Etch_A_Sketch_p/505.htm

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173150 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 1:24 PM
Recommendations: 11
I bow to no one in my love of Apple products but I have to say I HATE sitting at a table with people, who are ostensibly interacting with you, but really flipping through their i-pad. This happened last week at my reading group with not one, but three people.

Blecch. Rude and annoying. It's probably the wave of the future, but it's still rude and annoying. It's like a blackberry on crack.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173151 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 1:25 PM
who're you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?
Have you been watching just a bit too much "People's Court"?
:)

(That's my favorite judge Millian line)

Author: streetstupid Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173152 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 3:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Groucho Marx said it first.

http://quotations.about.com/od/funnymovieandtvquotes/a/grouc...

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173153 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 5:37 PM
"Here ya go!
http://www.world-of-toys.com/Etch_A_Sketch_p/505.htm"

That's it!

Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173155 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 5:59 PM
Yes, but at $30 month for the connection? When will Boost get in on the act?

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173156 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 7:43 PM
Yes, but at $30 month for the connection?

No, the connection is free, so long as you have Wi-Fi.

If you only need 3G occasionally, then don't forget there's a $15 plan.

Author: TMFJoeInvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173157 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 9:02 PM
I bow to no one in my love of Apple products but I have to say I HATE sitting at a table with people, who are ostensibly interacting with you, but really flipping through their i-pad. This happened last week at my reading group with not one, but three people.

Blecch. Rude and annoying. It's probably the wave of the future, but it's still rude and annoying. It's like a blackberry on crack.

I caught myself using my iPad while driving a couple of weeks ago. And people thought texting while driving was dangerous.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173158 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/9/2011 10:08 PM
"I caught myself using my iPad while driving a couple of weeks ago. And people thought texting while driving was dangerous."

I "caught myself" practicing Jenga during morning commute drives. The pedestrians and cars full of kids are distracting but I wouldn't let that spoil my Jenga obsession and sneaking in a little practice.
;p

Author: akm3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173164 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/10/2011 9:48 AM
Glad you've come around. I would describe you as a late adopter so it surprises me to hear you describe your wife that way! Must be a whole new category of late adoption :)

(Not from you) but I remember all the eye rolling and derision I received about my expensive "big iPod touch". I said it changed everything and was laughed at. Now most of the doubters have one :). Feels nice to be right...sometimes I'm not! (google wave...)

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173205 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/11/2011 12:05 PM
It's like a blackberry on crack.

Remember when Blackberrys were called Crackberrys?

Not so much anymore because the competition has passed them by.

Crackpad?

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173211 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/11/2011 1:02 PM
Crackpad?

How about CrapPad? (for anything that doesn't meet iPad capability). :)

Author: solesister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173287 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/15/2011 10:56 PM
"Like under $100 bucks? That's when I start to become interested, but $50 is even better. Does that make me a 'late adopter?' "

it makes you a "cheap adopter"

And we we wouldn't want you any other way ;)

Author: solesister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173288 of 204085
Subject: Re: This changes everything. Again. Date: 5/15/2011 11:01 PM
"Rude and annoying. It's probably the wave of the future, but it's still rude and annoying."

Trudat. Change doesn't necessarily mean change for the better.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement