Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fgb666 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Gains/Loss Record Keeping Date: 6/26/1999 7:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This discussion of gains/loss record keeping seems to be the place to ask about a question I have. I'm writing an Access application to keep track of my trades to simplify future IRS reporting. Now that I've gotten to having to code for handling Stock Splits I discover I'm at a loss for how to establish a basis for the stock added. Assuming I've made multiple purchases and sales and have a residual number of shares remaining at the time of a split, how do I arrive at the basis for the new shares and for that matter, the old shares? I fear this will be a little more complicated than what it took to record buy and sell transactions because I simply record each event as a transaction. If I don't have enough shares entered as buys, my system won't let you sell them. Coming up with the equivalent of PRICE when the split transaction is recorded is obviously more difficult, not to mention having a mechanism that revises the basis for whatever original shares were in place.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement