UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308362  
Subject: Re: January ThyPeace Update Date: 1/8/2013 1:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This doesn’t really seem like a good way to show it, as I’m now in more debt than when I started, but I have in fact paid down $108k of debt. I hope it makes sense!

I find, for me, a better way to look at it is to look at your net worth, rather than just your debt. When I recently bought my more expensive house, my debt went up significantly, but my net worth didn't really change, because there is also more equity in this house than there was in the old house. (And actually since the market has gone up in the last few months, plus I've invested more, my net worth has grown.)

Presumably, although you have taken on an extra $70k or so in debt, your home's value with the updates/addition will improve as the project progresses and until you start actually paying for the project, you have the extra money sitting in a savings account, which offsets the debt.

That said, you may not want to post your total net worth, so another option could be that you post the current value of the home and the amount of money that is put aside for the renovations in addition to the debt. Then at the end of the project, post the new value of the home in addition to the debt. Hopefully the project will have increased the value of the home as much as the investment that you made, but even if it doesn't, as you point out, you will be buying some personal value in the updates.

Or, you could just start over with a countdown of your new goal (pay off mortgage in 15 years) and track your progress toward that goal, noting that you've paid off $67k in non-mortgage debt, too.

And, especially if savings rates go back up, with 3% +/- rate, and a minimum payment that won't decrease even if you pay the balance down faster, I would suggest saving up money to pay off the mortgage in a lump sum, rather than paying extra on it now. But I think we've had that discussion before, and you need to do what's comfortable for you.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement