UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740379  
Subject: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
In fact his career at the U started several years before my mother was born and he's retiring at the end of this month!

http://www.ur.umich.edu/update/archives/121119/craven

His job is quite the anachronism. Book binding is going the way of buggy whip making. I admire his dedication to the U but there's no way in hell I'll be trying to beat his record!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: isawbones Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656113 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Classic bookbinding is an art form like painting or sculpture.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656116 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 0
From the article, "I think I'd like to roll over some morning and go back to sleep," he says."

If the man wanted to do this, why'd he wait so long? <g>

Mike

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656118 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 10:27 AM
Classic bookbinding is an art form like painting or sculpture.

True, it's just that fewer and fewer books are being printed these days, and if they are most are cheapo paperbacks. I appreciate a very nicely bound leather book but you just don't see them all that much anymore.

The one thing I thought was cool was that he developed all sorts of tools and devices for his craft. We all do that of course. I've had to create databases for crime analysis, tracking citations, tracking abandoned bikes, creating maps of things on campus, etc. His inventions were physical tools to do his job, mine are basically computer programs to turn a bunch of disparate data into something that makes sense, can be quantified (and gotten rid of if need be), etc. I suppose the main difference is his tools are more universally applicable than mine and thus worth more (my tools are very tailored towards the other systems we have here, even to the physical environment of the campus itself!)

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656132 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 12:51 PM
From the article, "I think I'd like to roll over some morning and go back to sleep," he says."

If the man wanted to do this, why'd he wait so long? <g>
------------------

I find I only have a couple of days a week I can sleep in without an alarm clock. I either have yoga or PT or recorder or DH wanting to go to Panera. And like so many things, it feels much more luxurious when you don't do it all the time.

arrete

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656140 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 2:00 PM
In fact his career at the U started several years before my mother was born

Let's all get up and dance to a song
That was a hit before your mother was born
Though she was born a long, long time ago
Your mother should know
Your mother should know

Lift up your hearts and sing me a song
Your mother should know
Your mother should know

--fleg

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656141 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 2:03 PM
Let's all get up and dance to a song
Your mother should know
Your mother should know

Lift up your hearts and sing me a song
Your mother should know
Your mother should know

Time for a rousing edition of Bang Bang Rosie?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656173 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 5:03 PM
"I find I only have a couple of days a week I can sleep in without an alarm clock. I either have yoga or PT or recorder or DH wanting to go to Panera. And like so many things, it feels much more luxurious when you don't do it all the time." - arrete

I'm sorry but I don't think you quite understand the concept of what it means to be retired. I unplugged and moved the alarm clock from the nite stand next to my bed long ago. When the doctor or dentist asks to make reservations for the next visit I firmly tell them nothing before 10:30 am. My usual time to wake up, naturally, is around 8:30 am. I usually go to bed around Midnight which I figure is around ~ 8 hours sleep so to my way of thinking that's about right.

Art

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656205 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:16 PM
Classic bookbinding is an art form like painting or sculpture. --isawbones

"Enough with the hand-wringing over the death of the book. That tidy little piece of technology is having its own quiet heyday, while digital devices mutate madly.

The vitality of the book - as a form - is on spectacular display in the first-ever international competition of about 100 or so handmade books, which are daring, collectible pieces of contemporary art."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/S-F-exhibition-c...

This exhibit was a couple years ago but every couple years Special Collections at SFPL sponsors a handbookbinding exhibit on the 6th floor of the Main Library organized by the Hand Bookbinders of California--wonderful material on display and one of our most popular exhibition events always.

"There seems to be an urge among people to get back to working with their hands - for people of all ages," said Judy Houghteling, a past president of Hand Bookbinders of San Francisco, which hosts an annual "Standards of Excellence" seminar to help pass down bookmaking technique. Glowing computer screens may be portals with seemingly infinite reach, but, Houghteling notes, they offer artists and craftspeople nothing to touch."
--

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656208 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm sorry but I don't think you quite understand the concept of what it means to be retired.
------------

Of course I do - I've been retired longer than you have. I just make different choices. Among those choices are playing with recorder groups, getting my back into better shape, and pleasing my husband. Surely you can't object to the last choice. <g>

arrete

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656209 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:33 PM
playing with recorder groups, getting my back into better shape, and pleasing my husband.

Another unwitting victim of the patriarchy. Sigh.

--fleg

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656210 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:33 PM
Surely you can't object to the last choice. <g>

Only if it's not reciprocal.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656213 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:52 PM
Surely you can't object to the last choice. <g>birdlady

Only if it's not reciprocal. -wolvie

>>>>>>>>>>>

her husband is a really good cook so I'm sure he is as creative in other areas. ;) Not that that's my business or anything.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656215 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 7:52 PM
Surely you can't object to the last choice. <g>
------------
Only if it's not reciprocal.
============

Of course it's reciprocal. That's how these things work.

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656259 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/20/2012 11:36 PM
"Of course I do - I've been retired longer than you have. I just make different choices. Among those choices are playing with recorder groups, getting my back into better shape, and pleasing my husband. Surely you can't object to the last choice. <g>" - arrete

I don't object to any of them only if it were me I'd insist that they be done later in the day. In my mind alarm clocks and being retired are incompatible. I think waking up naturally is one of the most luxurious things in the world. I hate alarm clocks.

Art

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656281 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 7:30 AM
My usual time to wake up, naturally, is around 8:30 am. I usually go to bed around Midnight which I figure is around ~ 8 hours sleep so to my way of thinking that's about right.

Art

Art,

That must be a retirement thing. Whenever I've taken two weeks vacation in a row, I naturally start going to bed around midnight and getting out of bed the next morning around 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (clock radio alarm is disabled of course). This schedule does not work well when I work, because I start work around 7:00 a.m. :-(

Mike

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656291 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:16 AM
"That must be a retirement thing. Whenever I've taken two weeks vacation in a row, I naturally start going to bed around midnight and getting out of bed the next morning around 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (clock radio alarm is disabled of course). This schedule does not work well when I work, because I start work around 7:00 a.m. :-( " Mike

Another thing most work places aren't too keen on is afternoon naps. Most days I take a ~ 30 minute to 2 hour afternoon nap. If I feel the least bit tired I'll stretch out somewhere and "rest my eyes" for a while. "Rest my eyes" is a euphemism for sleep. Being able to take an afternoon nap is one of the most luxurious things about being retired. That and not having to get up early in the morning or be awakened by an alarm clock! Alarm clocks are like torture devices.

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656293 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:18 AM
I hate alarm clocks.
---------------

I'm one of those people who usually wakes up before the alarm, 'casue I don't like them either. Though the one I have now is pretty nifty. It's an app on my iPhone does a waterfall of harp music as an alarm.
http://audiko.net/ringtone/Sleep+Cycle/Forest+glade?ring=154...

arrete

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656297 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:27 AM
Being able to take an afternoon nap is one of the most luxurious things about being retired. That and not having to get up early in the morning or be awakened by an alarm clock! Alarm clocks are like torture devices.

Art

A lot people say that they want to retire so they can travel. Me, I just want to be able to sleep in every morning and to take an afternoon nap when I feel like it.

Mike

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656300 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:31 AM
"I'm one of those people who usually wakes up before the alarm, 'casue I don't like them either. Though the one I have now is pretty nifty. It's an app on my iPhone does a waterfall of harp music as an alarm.
http://audiko.net/ringtone/Sleep+Cycle/Forest+glade?ring=154......
- arrete

yeah, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't wake me up. Probably make me sleep even sounder. We have a couple of sound machines and sometimes we set it to "ocean wave" noises that knocks both of us out. We've camped out next to the ocean several times (Outer Banks/Cape Hatteras) and the sound of the ocean waves is excellent for sleeping.

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656304 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:42 AM
Being able to take an afternoon nap is one of the most luxurious things about being retired.
-----------------

To each his or her own. I don't take naps. If I sleep in the afternoon, it means I'm sick. Some people are natural nappers; others aren't.

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656307 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 9:47 AM
Recommendations: 2
"A lot people say that they want to retire so they can travel. Me, I just want to be able to sleep in every morning and to take an afternoon nap when I feel like it." - Mike

We finally got a Roku box and I hooked it up and have been watching Caprica and Battlestar Galatica streaming from Netflix. In the afternoon after watching several episodes it makes me sleepy so I'll turn off the TV and stretch out and "rest my eyes" for a few minutes and it feels so good! "It's the best Jerry the best!"

Oh yeah, Roku is the best thing ever!

Art

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656320 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 10:40 AM
Oh yeah, Roku is the best thing ever!

Art

I've been reading about the Roku product. Looks great. The problem is I'd need to be retired to have the time to watch all the content available. :-(

Mike

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656379 of 740379
Subject: Re: This guy didn't Retire Early Date: 11/21/2012 2:19 PM
"I've been reading about the Roku product. Looks great. The problem is I'd need to be retired to have the time to watch all the content available. :-( " - Mike

I think it costs about ~ $8.00/month to stream Netflix. The Roku box from Best Buy costs me like ~ $78.00? It was a lot easier to hook up than I thought it would be. I made too much of a big deal about it. Turns out there are "composite" (red, yellow, white) wiring right on the side of the box and if your TV has a place to hook composite wiring you can hook up a Roku box to it. HDMI also is on the side of the box so either one will work.

We all ready had a Netflix account with both DVD's in the mail and streaming so after I bought and hooked up the Roku box it was just a matter of following instructions (punching in the code for the WiFi on the modem) and then the Netflix password and it allowed us access to Netflix.

You can also stream Hulu and a whole bunch of other stuff through the same box. There is a "channel store" that you can go to that will allow you to "buy" channels directly from the box and thus access a whole lot of television programming through the Roku box.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement