Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445767  
Subject: Re: thieving Clintons?? Date: 12/11/2012 4:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 79
This guy is reasonable. If I can demonstrate he's incorrect he will acknowledge it. But I got nuthin'. (Of course, if he's correct then she would be a terrible choice in 2016 as the GOP would "chief butler" her in a heart-beat.)

Your friend is right in that there were "many" stories at the time. What he doesn't remember is that most of the stories were debunked or wildly exaggerated, but those sorts of things don't garner the headlines when the results of the GAO investigation come out six months later.

There were "pranks", such as a couple of "W"'s missing from computer keyboards, but the number was "a few", not "hundreds" as was originally reported. (It might be well to recall that there were very bad feelings about Republicans in the Clinton White House, after having gone through 8 years of wild witch hunts, formal investigations, and all the rest that the country - and particularly staffers - endured in the 1990's.)

There were a few nameplates which disappeared, which I find entirely believable; if I had worked in the White House I would likely have wanted to take something with me, too.

There was one piece of furniture, I believe, which was returned, and which was credited to confusion over whether it was a gift to the Clinton's personally or to the White House. (Same thing happened with Ronald Reagan, BTW.)

Otherwise, it's gigantically a non-issue, and as the GAO report said, it was nothing that doesn't happen after any long-term tenant moves out. But I'm sure that won't convince your friend, if he is determined to believe it anyway. Sadly it's just more of the mudslinging that has become politics today, and people are going to believe what they are going to believe. (It's even sadder that we have to launch an official investigation into such nonsense, especially coming on the heels of the tens of millions of dollars wasted by Kenneth Starr & friends trying to discredit and even overthrow (Constitutionally, perhaps, but still coup-de-tat) a Presidency in progress for what, as it turns out, was a minor sexual escapade between consenting adults.

(It might be worth noting that 10 times as many Reagan administration officials went to jail as those in the Clinton administration, and the Reaganites were taken down for such things as subverting the Constitution, lying to Congress, perjury, obstruction of justice, largely relating to the sale of weapons to a state enemy to fund a war specifically proscribed by Congress, but hey, let's make a big deal of a couple of computer keyboards.)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement