Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: howardroark Big red star, 1000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21526  
Subject: This Happened Date: 1/20/2013 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 42
I suggest you peruse this mindfully. If not, digest it thoughtfully. Alternatively, consider it carefully. At a minimum, scrutinize it studiously.

Federal Reserve emergency conference call, August 16, 2007:

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE:Let me read the statement one more time. I have a couple of thoughts. First, is there a sense that adding the “going forward” is helpful? I believe there was some sense that it was helpful. On President Fisher’s comment about “having increased appreciably,” I think we need an adverb there because we just said in the last FOMC statement that they have increased. So we need to ratchet it up some. We could say “significantly” or some other word, but unless there are other comments, I would recommend staying with “appreciably.” Also I believe that “prepared to act as needed” encompasses the idea of either not moving or moving once or moving twice. I believe that “as” is a
more encompassing preposition, and I would recommend that we leave it as is. If there are no other comments, I think it would be best for us to take a vote of FOMC members on the monetary policy statement for the record. President Fisher.

MR. FISHER. Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Again, I apologize, but if we take “going forward,” which I think is a good suggestion, I do want you to consider the word “appreciably” as maybe a little too strong. We’re saying about going forward. We could say “increased further.”
“Appreciably” is a very strong word, and the way I interpret it from a market perspective—and this is maybe what you want to convey—is that it’s a done deal that we are going to cut rates. That’s the way I interpret it. I think the word “further” is a little softer. I worry about “appreciably.” We are acknowledging that we’re looking forward. I think it is a very good suggestion of Governor Kroszner’s. I just wanted to make that point, Mr. Chairman. Thank you.

MR. KOHN. “Further” is pretty soft.

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. “Significantly”?

MR. KOHN. “Significantly further”? I’m sorry, Mr. Chairman.

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. Go ahead.

MR. KOHN. Okay. People have been concerned that this will disappoint the markets, so softening it appreciably [laughter] to me might be a problem. If we said “further,” I think we would need an adverb in front of it.

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. President Lockhart.

MR. LOCKHART. I agree with President Fisher regarding “appreciably,” and I’m wondering if we could not say that the Committee judges that the downside risks to growth have increased somewhat.

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. No, sorry. That’s not strong enough.

MR. KOHN. You could say “significantly further.” Substantially?

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. Materially?

MR. HOENIG. You might as well stay with “appreciably.”

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. I think the best alternative is “significantly,” if that’s preferred. No? “Appreciably” simply means that it’s detectable, large enough to detect.

MR. WARSH. Detectable and material, significantly.

MR. LACKER. Noticeably?

MR. HOENIG. Mr. Chairman, my first choice would be “further,” but I’d take “appreciably” over “significantly.”

CHAIRMAN BERNANKE. Okay. I think we’ve reached the limit of our ability to craft it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MDCigan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15995 of 21526
Subject: Re: This Happened Date: 1/20/2013 8:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
LOL...you sure this isn't a script from Saturday Night Live for a comedy sketch parodying a Federal Reserve meeting?

What I want to know is how do I get a 6 figure+ job where I can get paid to discuss and debate the use of different adverbs. Sure beats working for a living.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15996 of 21526
Subject: Re: This Happened Date: 1/20/2013 9:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
This is the kind of dialog one gets in a standard "words committee". I've been involved in task forces and committees that need to report back with findings. There's always people who discuss the language and whether it truly communicates the conclusions.

The more interesting thing is seeing which participant argues for what words. It says a lot about their position(s).

PM

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16002 of 21526
Subject: Re: This Happened Date: 1/21/2013 9:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
Howie,

the problem there is that they can write well....much better than I can.....

Dave

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement