Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 798  
Subject: Re: Puzzling out the errors Date: 11/15/2012 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a common problem. The quality of genealogy posted on the internet varies widely. That is why you need to carefully review it and verify it before you accept it as fact.

Of course if what is posted is correct, it is often possible to get documentation of some sort. A birth certificate, census data, published obits, etc.

I have friends who get very frustrated because misinformation, once posted or published, can come back again and again as others find it and record it as fact. That is why it becomes important to document what you have and be able to come up with evidence that it is correct.

I'm glad to know there are other people who are concerned with getting correct information, and not just filling up the blanks as fast as they can. I just had another one, too. A women died on a particular day (her husband died that day, correctly noted). However, this woman apparently remarried a year after her death.

<sigh>

I made a guesstimated death date (based on when her first husband's will went to probate, which was 6 years after he died) with comments explaining my decision. But I don't understand how it is that no one at all caught that.

I need to start making a list of questions for a trip to the Boston library. They apparently have a very good genealogy section, but you need to know what you're looking for.

Nancy
271 member connections, and not one person spotted the problem!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement