No. of Recommendations: 1
This is a constant condition for me: interacting with liberals and leftists who affect a stance of bored impatience, who insist that the answers to moral and political questions are so obvious that every reasonable person already agrees, who then lack the ability to explain the thinking underlying their answers to those questions in a remotely compelling way. Everything is obvious; all the hard work is done; only an idiot couldn’t see what the right thing to do is. And then you poke a little bit at the foundation and it just collapses. I suppose the condescension and the fragility are related conditions, the bluster a product of the insecurity at the heart of it all. You act like everything is obvious precisely because you can’t articulate your position.

I had an interesting interaction regarding the minimum wage with a liberal on Twitter yesterday. This person left a snarky tweet for someone (some economist): "I'll just leave this here" with a link to the Card-Krueger study, of course. This is to be expected because it is basically the only study that liberals ever reference regarding the minimum wage.

In any case, I responded with a link to Neumark and Wascher's review of minimum wage studies (http://www.nber.org/papers/w12663) in which they found that the vast majority of studies find that a minimum wage does in fact reduce employment and hours worked, consistent with what economic theory predicts.

As you can probably guess, this person proceeded to respond with more idiotic tweets, like how there is massive anecdotal evidence that employment is not reduced, with a link to an article about the Seattle minimum wage. So one example is supposed to be massive anecdotal evidence. And what's worse is that Seattle *did* in fact experience less employment and fewer hours worked as a result of the minimum wage (http://www.washington.edu/news/2016/07/25/minimum-wage-study...).

So there is really no way to reason with a liberal. Every time I forget this and try to get through to a liberal with facts and reasoning, I just end up frustrated.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement