No. of Recommendations: 4
This is a great thread, and many of you have made some valid points. In my opinion there are many reasons that our education system is failing. What it comes down to is that our society as a whole is failing. What does it say about a society where parents don't have time to help their child with homework? Where they don't take an interest in the education of their child? Where they actually believe there child failing a course is always the teachers fault? (hmm maybe the kid is lazy, needs encouragement, etc.)

I am also quite offended by the fact that we have lowered our standards of education in this country. I am 31 years old and going back to college. Anyone want to guess the most challenging class I took? Bio 101. Why because the instructor forced you to learn. If you didn't you failed. We did not have multiple guess tests, we wrote in class essays every 2 weeks. There were no essay questions, you were simply told to pick 2 of the lecture topics from that time period and write 6 page on each. Yep he was a Brit. So hats off to the british education system.

I have taken many clases since then but have yet to retain as much information as I did from that class why because I had to work for my grade.

I took Micro & Macro Economics with the same university never cracked a book and Aced the tests that the instructor swears were very difficult. Why because the class was easier than the one I took in high school.

Wow I know this ranted a little off subject, however my point is that our education system has gotten so poor that standards are not only lower in the public school system but at many universities as well. I guess **** doesn't always roll down hill sometimes it gets pushed up too.

Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement