Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a more general question -

In cases like this, can a taxpayer take a deduction on the state return this year, and then carryforward the credit to 2009 when he may have a tax liability?

Or is it a one shot deal? - Since he's taking the deduction on Sch A, even with no tax benefit, he can't carry it forward - now that I think about it, that makes sense, as you can't deduct the same thing twice.

Is it possible that you (and this is probably up to each state), could deduct it on your state taxes, and take the credit on 1116, which would carry it foward for federal purposes?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.