UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1963444  
Subject: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 38
Nevertheless, the same aide apparently sent along an email, apologizing for his outburst. In that email, the aide wrote: “I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today. ... You’re focusing on a few specific trees that give a very wrong impression of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. … I think you will regret staking out that claim.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/woodward-obama-aide...

I don't know what playground you grew up on, but where I come from that ain't no threat.

Republicans are reaching, desperately trying to shift the blame for whatever bad things happen as a consequence of sequestration. Obama didn't "lie" when he said automatic budget cuts were Congress's idea just because the mechanism for such cuts was proposed by his budget director. And no one threatened to break Bob Woodward's legs. The bad thing about all this is that the media focusing on the procedural sideshow, the petty political finger-pointing, rather than the issue itself. But that's what they do, because that's what we want: superficiality and drama instead of substance and boring policy.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862751 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Depends on what was said on the phone call, the tone and who the person was making the threat. But if Woodward said he felt threatened, I take him at his word. He's been threatened by the best of them since Nixon.

I highly doubt anyone at White House is dumb enough to write "I'll break your legs" in an email. (although you never know with this crew). Sometimes the threat isn't what is said, but how it's said and by whom. Where I come from, the best threats are the most subtle.

Woodward is trusted, the Administration isn't.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862752 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
Depends on what was said on the phone call, the tone and who the person was making the threat. But if Woodward said he felt threatened, I take him at his word. He's been threatened by the best of them since Nixon.

I highly doubt anyone at White House is dumb enough to write "I'll break your legs" in an email. (although you never know with this crew). Sometimes the threat isn't what is said, but how it's said and by whom. Where I come from, the best threats are the most subtle.

Woodward is trusted, the Administration isn't.

I know if I got a letter from someone I knew had a lot of power that stated I would be sorry I had done something, I would not feel the least bit like it was a threat

You have got to be kidding me. This clown wants to say taht can not be construed as a threat, what a moron.

Author: JeSuisHistoire Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862787 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 12:28 PM
Recommendations: 22
<Woodward is trusted, the Administration isn't.>

You mean the man who claimed to interview former CIA director William Casey on his deathbed? Which must have been a little one-sided because Casey was in a coma in his final days and unable to speak.

And the man who wrote the hagiography "Bush At War"?

Trust just isn't what comes comes to mind when one thinks of Woodward. Instead we picture Fonzie airborne over a bunch of sharks.

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862824 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 3:24 PM
Recommendations: 0
Trust just isn't what comes comes to mind when one thinks of Woodward. Instead we picture Fonzie airborne over a bunch of sharks.

Oh please, this is a journalist who brought down a President, what present day newspaper, tv newswriter or blogger can even hold a candle to that?

I am beginning to picture 0bama airborne over a bunch of Dems.

Ed

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862828 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 4:14 PM
I love it. The drones have been ordered into action to destroy Woodward for the crime of committing an act of journalism. And they're doing it with gusto.

Author: WuLong Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862842 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 5:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
And they're doing it with gusto.
Well, they are certainly attempting with gusto. Doing? Not so much.
Fwiw: http://www.theonion.com/articles/anonymous-source-informs-bo...

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862863 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 7:19 PM
"Oh please, this is a journalist who brought down a President, what present day newspaper, tv newswriter or blogger can even hold a candle to that?"

That was then. This is now.

Ken

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862872 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 9:30 PM
Recommendations: 34
Republicans are reaching, desperately trying to shift the blame for whatever bad things happen as a consequence of sequestration.

That too certainly, but you can't really exaggerate the cowardly paranoia of people who see a Communist behind every act of kindness, a criminal behind every black face, a terrorist behind every beard, think the President was born in Kenya, and need a gun to feel safe on a playground.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862873 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 9:34 PM
"Oh please, this is a journalist who brought down a President, what present day newspaper, tv newswriter or blogger can even hold a candle to that?"

That was then. This is now.

Ken

Then his books sold without help.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862876 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 10:02 PM
That too certainly, but you can't really exaggerate the cowardly paranoia of people who see a Communist behind every act of kindness, a criminal behind every black face, a terrorist behind every beard, think the President was born in Kenya, and need a gun to feel safe on a playground.

Mostly what this is about, is a tiny dose of spending cuts. "Spending Cuts", perhaps the two words Democrats never thought would be put together in real life.

Contrary to the scary scenarios put forth by Obama himself, the cuts are not so arbitrary and immediate as he and others said. Agencies do have some discretion, and it's not immediate. The cuts are also, this year, very small.

I must repeat this as well. The so-called "cuts" still don't cut the budget at all, they merely slow down the extent of spending increases.

What Obama has allowed to happen surprises me. It allows the American people to see what he's all about. They can now reflect on his statements of already cutting over a trillion dollars in expenses, which is complete and utter BS. It eliminates pretty much totally the very BS case brought forth by the Progressive Caucus.

His tax cuts for the wealthy failed miserably, as everyone knew they would. Even if tripled, they wouldn't amount to a pigmy pee in the sea. No, what this sequester gives the American people is time. Time to see what happens. Time to see what this President does in office. Time to see just how much BS has already been flung in their direction.

But most of all, it gives Everyone a chance to see how the deficit grows After the Sequester. A funny reality.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862882 of 1963444
Subject: Re: This is a threat? Date: 2/28/2013 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 7
Felix, the more meaningful email is Woodward's reply to Sperling's apology for raising his voice:

...I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice. I am listening. I know you lived all this.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/173129/legend-laughing-stock-b...

That's not a guy who feels threatened, no matter how much publicity he's trying to stir up.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement