UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aktravler85 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: seeking secrets of a happy retirement Date: 1/19/2005 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
This is a topic that I think about a lot. My husband is retired from the military. Lots of folks are retired military.

We have the luxury of a good retirement income and medical benefits. Income from work now goes to build up our investments for all the additional expenses we expect in the future.

Our plan is to RV full time seeing this wonderful country hunting and fishing.

That said, What I see is from watching the difference in m parents and my in-laws through their retirement years.

My parents are both deceased, having passed in their late 70's. They always talked about "someday". Someday they would RV full time and see the country. They talked, but did not make it happen, for various "reasons".

They spent over 20 years "in retirement" never really having done anything. It's like they were too afraid to go away from their "safe place".

My in-laws are so different, similar lifestyle and ranks in the military, but they had a plan and made it happen. They bought that RV (along with a few replacements over the years) and traveled this country for 20 years, spending months living near their scattered kids and grandkids. They stayed young, interesting to be with (THE STORIES!), and a pure joy to have parked in your yard.

They sold their RV a few years ago, knowing that their reflexes and health makes for that active of a life more difficult. We all are proud of their making that decision. They now live in a lovely condo, near some family members and stay active going to the pool and taking short trips to visit family.

I spend time at American Legions and VFW's and there are a lot of sad cases there.

Particularly men who identify them selves by what they did, rather than who who they are. They never gave thought to "what" they would be outside of that environment. They never made plans or goals or looked for something to be excited about when retirement came around.

I suppose to sum this up. Find something to look forward too, and have several alternate ideas if "things" don't work out with plan "1".
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement