No. of Recommendations: 1
This is a very well staffed and well run nursing home, and I doubt that it accepts any Medicaid patients. I was out to see my uncle yesterday, and he has always receiving excellent care whenever I've visited him.

The cost is $10,000/month. That doesn't include an additional several thousand dollars/month paid by my aunt for her assisted living apartment.

My mother told me a few years ago about her experiences in helping many of her elderly friends to manage the transition to nursing homes.

She emphasized that it was important to go into a nursing home before you run out of money, because many of the better quality nursing homes do not take Medicaid-only residents. But those nursing homes do not throw people out for running out of money. When you ran out of money you got to stay there, and the home just accepted the Medicaid amount.

She said it was important to have $30K-40K when you went in as a paying resident. This will be eaten up quickly by the monthly charges (she was saying they were around $3K-5K per month back then, IIRC), but once it is gone, you are still in a better quality nursing home than one that takes only-only residents.

-CB
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement