Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Re: What does your Medicare cost? Date: 4/14/2010 12:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is all very interesting. If your figures hold fairly steady, my insurance costs will drop about in half while my coverage improves, although I fully expect the quality of care to begin declining as the main features of ObamaCare go into effect in a few years.

Before we retired early I made an educated guess as to what our health care costs might be and figured that into the withdrawl equation. My guess was fairly high and we've pretty much stayed under that amount except we went over it by just a little last year due to the deductibles and co-pays for my hernia surgery. Having to replace a number of ageing dental crowns all at once or another surgery could certainly do it in the future.

What's strange is that we could continue to afford the kind of premiums we pay now indefinitely, and yet our costs will go down because some years we will be subsidized by other people's taxes -- with many of those people having fewer assets than we do. (I say "some years" because we will probably have a year here and there with a lot of capital gains and then we will be paying a lot of taxes ourselves. But in average years we won't be paying all that much.) And we will also be subsidized by your kids and grandkids via the huge debts that ObamaCare will dump on their shoulders (we have no offspring).

Perhaps means-testing for Medicare premiums will become more vigorous. Even if it does, our Social Security benefits, which did not figure into our retirement planning, will more than offset higher premiums. My own SS payments, which just started in January, are enough to cover our current premiums. When DW's kick in at the end of the year, it'll be like a free health-care ride. Except that we paid all those SS taxes over the years and are finally getting it back with a very low rate of return.

Anyway, to all of those who will be paying more taxes than we will in the future, and to your offspring for paying off the debt that ObamaCare will be dumping on them, thanks for the subsidy.

--fleg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement