UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Case58 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: Drop Stocks, Buy an Annuity? Date: 7/12/2011 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is an important subject for me, because I intend to retire at age 60 at the end of 2012 and was considering putting a portion of retirement savings (approximately 25%) into an immediate, noninflation adjusted annuity to cover basic expenses. Rationales are:

1. I do have the genes to make living another 30 or more years a probability. And if I don’t live that long, being dead I don’t really care that I lost the bet. (My beneficiaries will do okay out of the portion of retirement savings not dedicated to the immediate annuity).
2. The stability is attractive, and would permit me to invest the remainder more aggressively than I likely would otherwise. The additional investments also deal with the issue of inflation in using non-inflation adjusted annuities.
3. I would spread the annuities among 4 or 5 AAA insurance companies to reduce the default risk.

Because I’m shifting risk to a profit-making institution, it doesn’t trouble me that the institution will likely make a profit in accepting that risk (unless I live to be 110 or so). But I don’t want to be a sap either in terms of how much of a risk-shifting premium I’m paying.

The Retire Early article was troubling, but two aspects made me wonder whether it really is a useful guide: (1) the snarky, anti-corporate comments hurt its credibility with me; and (2) the use of only an inflation-adjusted comparison and not including a non-inflation adjusted comparison seemed designed to push the pre-ordained conclusion (clearly, the risk premium is much higher for taking on the inflation question over a 30 or more year period).

So what is the best way to evaluate an immediate annuity? And what alternative is there for ensuring stable income over a 30-year period? (I tried as a test creating a 30-year bond ladder through Fidelity, but it didn’t seem to work. Also, what I’ve seen and read about target funds make them less than attractive to me—high fees without a large reduction in market uncertainty).

Thanks,
Case
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement