UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTheSnake Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 207  
Subject: Re: Brookfield Infrastructure To Raise US$500 Ml Date: 10/19/2011 4:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
This is an interesting issuance because the $24.75 price is well down from the peaks we've seen recently. However, it is likely a reflection of the fear in banks and credit markets right now.

I'm sure the fact that BIP is buying toll roads in Chile with a good portion of the money doesn't help. In fact the fear around commodities probably has markets worried about both the Chilean and Australian projects.

I don't like the dilution here, but I do like the new assets and this is part of the fruition of Brookfield's efforts to capitalize on the European troubles.

One of the members of the consortium that owns the rights to operate the toll road and tunnel which BIP is buying is Spanish construction firm ACS, which is heavily indebted ($5.5 billion due this year against EBITDA of $2.3 billion) and has been selling assets to meet its debt requirements.

And look who is there to swoop in.

The road and tunnel are part of the Santiago ring road system located in the north central part of the city.
http://g.co/maps/ngec8

A rather unimpressive estimate of traffic in the tunnel I found put it at 28,000O cars/day - though this was expected to more than double to 60,000 cars/day by 2020.

BIP is getting a 24% stake in both the roads for $150m. The enterprise value of the roads, according to BIP, is $1.1 billion and it cost around $714m to build them.

Tolls can be adjusted with inflation and congestion fees can be charged, and BIP is expecting to recieve 12-15% returns on this investment.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement