UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SILUNG Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 341  
Subject: Re: Financial Advisor vs. Con-Artist Date: 8/12/2010 2:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is an old post, but I'll add my two cents. As someone who used to be a financial advisor, your father was extremely lucky. Because of the way compensation works, if that advisor was new he is under extreme pressure to bring in a certain amount of money or generate a certain amount of fees in a short period of time. If he had experience, then he just placed your father in a product he was comfortable selling. From your description it sounds like the former.

Unfortunately, many advisors know very little about the market. Annuities have some of the best payouts. So do managed futures. I remember being told to sell annuities, managed futures, and managed accounts made up of mutual funds because they were "sticky assets". Meaning it's hard to move the assets. Also, they paid great fees.

If you want to invest in stocks and no-load mutual funds, you're better off opening an online account. Advisors are best used when dealing with large sums of money, usually more than $250,000, and you have no interest in managing money. Say no to annuities and managed accounts/futures. Stick to mutual funds and fixed incomes. Advisors can't purchase products in clients' accounts without their permission. Most likely the advisor talked about the mutual funds that made up the annuity, giving your father the impression that this is where the money was going.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Objective Financial Advice
Your first stop in Finding a Financial Advisor should be TMF Money Advisor, from The Motley Fool.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement