No. of Recommendations: 1
This is controversial, but strict interpretation of IRS rules is that if your net earnings after deductible expenses for all the MLPs in the account exceeds $1K, you are supposed to get a tax id number for the account and file a tax return for the UBTI (unrelated business taxable income).

Some dispute that their income is UBTI.

Small investors who keep income below $1K probably need not worry. But some account custodians are very vigorous about enforcement. Some threaten to pay the tax for you and then deduct it from your account.

This is not a big deal if you are large enough to afford a tax advisor to fight for you before the IRS in an audit. But small investors probably cannot afford those expenses. Hence, other investments are more attractive.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.